News:

With the coming of Summer, hunting possibilities change, typically for the better. Prairie dogs, ground squirrels, and gophers are all fair game. And so are pigeons, Eurasian doves, and house sparrows. Oh goody!

Main Menu

Shocked when trying buy ammo in CA

Started by Steelhead, April 19, 2022, 12:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelhead

Thank goodness for airguns. I only have a handful of bullets left for my powder burner and was considering making a 'convenience' purchase of a box of 20 non-lead cartridges. I don't shoot the pb much, and if my current usage stays on track for deer hunting then 20 shells should last me about 8 years (allowed for four missed shots, lol)

I was in the local sporting goods store today and thought 'what the heck...I don't want to set up all of my reloading stuff'. I figured I'd get a box and be done with it even though they're super expensive ($50.00 + tax) It's been a few years since I bought any ammo in CA and I figured I had to provide an ID. I had no idea that:

1) You need a valid CA ID AND either a passport or a birth certificate to buy ammo.

2) You need pay a fee of $19.00 for the state to run a background check on you.

I love the outdoor resources, beauty, and diversity of California. But the sheer stupidity of the lawmakers never ceases to boggle the mind. I'm not great at reloading and I only have the dies and setup to do what I need for my gun, but thank goodness I have it.
Airforce Texan .308
FX Impact MKII .25
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Prowler .177
Texan .50
Sam Yang 909s Light Hunter
Born Wild Shooting Chair
Air Venturi compressor

Frank in Fairfield

Not completely true.
If you have bought any firearm within the past 5 years, you are on file with the new DOJ computers. (They did not transfer old data to the new computers.)
If you have purchased a firearm within the past five years, you pay $1.00 for the mentioned background check, once.
Then you can buy ammo for the firearms that DOJ knows about.
Last month I was in Rocklin Bass Pro.
I wanted some steel shotgun shells.
I bought 5 boxes (all they had).
The background check took 15 seconds after they scanned my Driver's License.
Don't like it?
Vote!
AA TX200 MKIII, .177
Avanti 499B
Baikal IZH46M w/Steve Corcoran Furniture
Baikal IZH60
Beeman P17
Beeman R1, San Rafael, .177
Benjamin Sheridan Blue Streak, Williams Peep
Benjamin Marauder Gen I, .177 w/Boyd's Blaster Stock
Benjamin Marauder Gen I, .25   w/Boyd's Varmint stock
Crosman 1720T
Crosman 2300S, Steve Corcoran Grips
Daisy Model 25, Variant #7
Diana 6M
HW35E, .177, Beeman/Williams Peep/12fpe VORTEK
Bug-a-Salt

archerhmr

Yes. I purchased a box just to make sure I could. Was not an issue at all. $1. And almost instant.

Steelhead

You are correct. I have not bought a firearm in the last five years, so I'm relegated to paying the $19.00 fee.

As far as voting, I absolutely vote. But when your choices are career politicians, media magnates, and crooked-ass smooth talking do-nothings I hold very faith in our system. Just look at our last presidential election and the consequent insurrection it resulted in with the POTUS invalidating the vote.   

By the way, this is the second time that you (Frank) have implied that I don't vote. Unless you know something that I don't, shut your pie hole. I told you before about that and you did it again. I'm about an hour away and I'd be happy to meet up and discuss it if you like. 

Airforce Texan .308
FX Impact MKII .25
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Prowler .177
Texan .50
Born Wild Shooting Chair
Air Venturi compressor

steveoh

I bought a shotgun right before the pandemic, so I'm in the database. Last year I went looking for non-lead .357 magnum ammo since I can hunt deer with a revolver but NOT with an air rifle of about the same power. Go figure. Found a gun shop that had ammo and they sold it to me even though they require you to be a regular customer who has purchased a gun from them. $1 for the state. Yay.

Vote? Of course. I always do.
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule
DAQ .458 LA Outlaw Rifle
DAQ .58 LA Outlaw Rifle
FX Streamline .25
FX M3 Impact 700mm Sniper .25
Benjamin Bulldog .357
QB-79 .177
Crosman 1322
Crosman 1377 - HoRodded 10 FPE
Diana Model 27 (childhood airgun)
Tolman Skiff
Airgun Calculator

Frank in Fairfield

I pass.
I saw you once in Placerville.
Close enough for me..
AA TX200 MKIII, .177
Avanti 499B
Baikal IZH46M w/Steve Corcoran Furniture
Baikal IZH60
Beeman P17
Beeman R1, San Rafael, .177
Benjamin Sheridan Blue Streak, Williams Peep
Benjamin Marauder Gen I, .177 w/Boyd's Blaster Stock
Benjamin Marauder Gen I, .25   w/Boyd's Varmint stock
Crosman 1720T
Crosman 2300S, Steve Corcoran Grips
Daisy Model 25, Variant #7
Diana 6M
HW35E, .177, Beeman/Williams Peep/12fpe VORTEK
Bug-a-Salt

Alan

Another Left-Coast issue.

I bought several boxes of 9 mm hollow points at Big-R here in Roswell. Expensive to be sure, but they didn't even ask me for my ID! Fodder for my Mark 3 Ruger, was purchased on-line, and delivered by UPS. Except for checking the box that I was an adult, there was no other "checks".

What I want to know is, how do all of the gang0bangers buy ammo in California?
Alan

I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. If you're a fellow Guild member, and you pass through Roswell, NM, I'll fill your tank as a courtesy (4,250 PSI limit).

Goose

Wow.  I had no idea it had gotten that bad.  Sorry to see it, but happy that I left when I did. 

The bangers get their girlfriends to do all that for them.  I learned all about that while working out there as an instructor / range officer.

Good luck,

J~

Steelhead

The guys that I know that don't hand load just stock up when they're in Nevada. I did it too when I was in Idaho (if you call two boxes of centerfire stocking up)

Between the costs, hassle, and acquiescing to laws that makes no sense I am forever grateful that we have airguns. I know that nothing's forever, things change (as much as I hate it), and we evolve with it. But for now, and the near future, air is a welcome respite from the shit-show logistics of owning a firearm out here.
Airforce Texan .308
FX Impact MKII .25
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Prowler .177
Texan .50
Born Wild Shooting Chair
Air Venturi compressor

Alan

There is another issues here... The fed is shipping ammo to the Ukraine in record amounts, including the firearms that shoot the ammo. This ammo will have to be replaced, to bring the strategic level back to snuff. Guess who will suffer?
Alan

I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. If you're a fellow Guild member, and you pass through Roswell, NM, I'll fill your tank as a courtesy (4,250 PSI limit).

Goose

Quote from: Steelhead on April 20, 2022, 06:55:01 AMThe guys that I know that don't hand load just stock up when they're in Nevada. I did it too when I was in Idaho (if you call two boxes of centerfire stocking up)

Between the costs, hassle, and acquiescing to laws that makes no sense I am forever grateful that we have airguns. I know that nothing's forever, things change (as much as I hate it), and we evolve with it. But for now, and the near future, air is a welcome respite from the shit-show logistics of owning a firearm out here.

You make good points.  I do wonder when they'll start regulating airguns on a federal level like they do firearms.  Especially now that PCP arms have reached firearm levels of muzzle energy.  One murder will be all it takes...

Exxcellent point, Alan.  Seems their border is worth guarding, while ours no longer is...  I rarely use powder anymore because it's gotten so expensive.

Be well,

J~

cpt_sfc

I have said this before. I don't want to appear mean but. Vote at the booth and Vote by moving the heck out of comiefornia. I have it bad enough here but we still have areas that use common sense that leave you alone. Once it get to the state level we have been lucky that 800,000 hunters vote the a hole out. Then bitch like hell to your reps about the underlings that think they know it all and act like the lord of regulations. I am to old to put up with there bull.