News:

With the coming of Summer, hunting possibilities change, typically for the better. Prairie dogs, ground squirrels, and gophers are all fair game. And so are pigeons, Eurasian doves, and house sparrows. Oh goody!

Main Menu

UMAREX Shotgun slugs

Started by Alan, March 23, 2022, 03:31:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan

Drop over to the HAM site, and read the article on UMAREX's new "shotgun slugs". Note the lead portion. The article mentions the vanes, AND the rifled choke portion of the barrel, are what provide spin stabilization in flight.

I know these are traveling sub-sonically, but even with the odd-shaped meplats, the (laminar ) airflow across these peripheral surfaces, has is very low. I suspect the rifled portion of the choke is actually the main "rotating" force. Am I wrong here?
Alan

I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. If you're a fellow Guild member, and you pass through Roswell, NM, I'll fill your tank as a courtesy (4,250 PSI limit).

rsterne

I would think you are correct, Alan.... although there is a cutout in the band at the back of the head to allow the air to hit the curved "turning vane".... Being flare-stabilized projectiles, they need very little spin anyways, and could probably get away with 200 calibers (about a 10 foot) twist rate and still be stable....

Bob
🇺🇦    I support Ukraine and their struggle to remain free!    🇺🇦