News:

It is the start of Summer vacations, and for many, planting season too. But that doesn't mean you can't shoot your airgun! And you'd best, unless you want to lose your touch for the Fall hunting seasons, which will be upon us before we know it!

Main Menu

Slugs for .30 slug liners.

Started by Nicesurprice, January 29, 2022, 07:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nicesurprice

Hi all
Question.
Looking for a slug mold, want to cast .30 slugs for slug liners.
Do we have any good designs?

Just looking for a slug witch preforms op to 110 yards.
Did find few on the NOE site.

grts Ronald
It's not about the destination; it's about the journey

rsterne

It depends entirely on the FPE of your gun.... To reach 950 fps, divide the FPE by 2 to get the slug weight.... If you have a 100 FPE gun, you may be best to stick to pellets.... The lightest cast slugs are the NOE 62/68 gr. BBT....

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/product-category/308-311/300-68-fn-bi3/

The 62 gr. HP will shoot about 850 fps out of a 100 FPE .30 cal, and works great in the TJ's 26" twist barrel, so it doesn't need to be spun too fast.... If you have a far more powerful PCP, let us know, and I for one would have totally different ideas....

Bob
🇺🇦    I support Ukraine and their struggle to remain free!    🇺🇦

Nicesurprice

Quote from: rsterne on January 29, 2022, 08:34:35 AM
It depends entirely on the FPE of your gun.... To reach 950 fps, divide the FPE by 2 to get the slug weight.... If you have a 100 FPE gun, you may be best to stick to pellets.... The lightest cast slugs are the NOE 62/68 gr. BBT....

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/product-category/308-311/300-68-fn-bi3/

The 62 gr. HP will shoot about 850 fps out of a 100 FPE .30 cal, and works great in the TJ's 26" twist barrel, so it doesn't need to be spun too fast.... If you have a far more powerful PCP, let us know, and I for one would have totally different ideas....

Bob

Should fit FX airguns with slug-liners.
Not my cup f tea.
An shooting mate did ask i wanted to cast some slugs for his FX.
I have a .30 Sinner over 320 Footpounds.

Energy will be the problem, getting a decent speed @ 100 Yds.

cpt_sfc

I use a 7.62x25 cast  point,d SWC at 900-1120 fps sized to 301 or 302 and it comes in at 55 gr. Lubed. One gun is a mod m-rod at 950fps the other is a Russian Jager unchoked at 1120 with a start pressure of 3600 in the tube. Shot count sucks at about 3-5 shots, but it shoots well out to 70 yards and that's were all my shots are. The bullet does not expand much. I also use 30 cal pellets. But the SWC will go thru a coyote.

Nicesurprice

Quote from: cpt_sfc on February 06, 2022, 08:54:55 AM
I use a 7.62x25 cast  point,d SWC at 900-1120 fps sized to 301 or 302 and it comes in at 55 gr. Lubed. One gun is a mod m-rod at 950fps the other is a Russian Jager unchoked at 1120 with a start pressure of 3600 in the tube. Shot count sucks at about 3-5 shots, but it shoots well out to 70 yards and that's were all my shots are. The bullet does not expand much. I also use 30 cal pellets. But the SWC will go thru a coyote.

You use that accurate slug mold for it?
And its just an hard hitting slug?
Or will it group aswel?

cpt_sfc

I will go ck today. I think it is an old lee mold. It's in a box of about 30 or so molds so i will look.

cpt_sfc

FORGOT. yes out of my 2 unchocd 30 cal it makes one hole at 25 yard and about 3/8-1/2 at fifty. Somewhere on here is 1 pic and I might have a shot group, I have no idea how to find it.

cpt_sfc

It was a lyman mold very old, bullet had one grease groove and dropped at .309 and noe sized in steps to .302 Won't. chamber in some 30 rifles like my Daystate 303. No mold # just lyman on the side 2 cav looks like cast iron?