News:

With the coming of Summer, hunting possibilities change, typically for the better. Prairie dogs, ground squirrels, and gophers are all fair game. And so are pigeons, Eurasian doves, and house sparrows. Oh goody!

Main Menu

Pacific Airgun Expo 2022

Started by steveoh, November 30, 2021, 11:38:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveoh

From Michael:

QuoteHello fellow west coast airgun enthusiasts! The date for the 2022 Pacific Airgun Expo at the El Dorado County Fairgrounds in Placerville (Old Hangtown) moved one weekend to March 19/20 (the fairgrounds had to move my date, but it worked out good with turkey season).

This, the weekend before turkey opens, might be a good one to try to schedule for every year.

As you will read below, there is still an iffy caveat to us having the show or not, but it is now looking promising enough I want to get this notice out to you so you can get it on your calendar.

Finalizing the date and getting this notice out took forever and so the marketing for this next event is getting started quite late primarily because the State of California has made it much harder to put on gun shows. Because they have not been successful at putting an end to gun shows, they have made it almost impossible to get insurance for any weapon show in this state now, "bb gun" (wink wink) shows included.

Our show used to be able to use the very inexpensive state fairgrounds insurance (because we are not a "real" gun show), but that has been taken away, and every insurance provider I called that said they do fairgrounds gun show insurance said they can't do it in California any longer.

After many attempts I did finally get through to the NRA's insurance branch, and while I don't have an actual firm quote yet, I'm told to expect it to be about the $400 range. Four times more than we were paying, but good enough to finally let you all know it's looking like a show will happen.

In the past our show only brought in a few hundred dollars profit, so with increased insurance cost and the increased facility rental (but it's still the best deal I can find with a facility that will actually allow a gun show within a few hours of me), our little Pacific Airgun Expo will have a hard time being on the plus side of zero, but I do this out of love for our sport and in the hope it grows so that our little west coast show could someday make enough money to start paying forward for the next show.

I know at my local gun range there are increasing numbers of airguns showing up. Please help get the word out about the show. I'll send a follow up email to you all when I get the flyer artwork done.

If you all are still in, I'm in!

Michael McKeown
info@pacificairgunexpo.com
www.pacificairgunexpo.com
707-337-9410
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule
DAQ .458 LA Outlaw Rifle
DAQ .58 LA Outlaw Rifle
FX Streamline .25
FX M3 Impact 700mm Sniper .25
Benjamin Bulldog .357
QB-79 .177
Crosman 1322
Crosman 1377 - HoRodded 10 FPE
Diana Model 27 (childhood airgun)
Tolman Skiff
Airgun Calculator

steveoh

I'm seeking ideas for better promotion of this expo to share with Michael.

Observations of several past shows.
1. It's really just an indoor flea market for airgun stuff.
2. I recall it's two rooms dimly lit, with folding tables for folks to lay out the stuff they want to sell or trade.
3. No beverage or food service.  Pretty easy to at least offer coffee and donuts. Perhaps a food truck with additional offerings since the show is all day.
4. A lounge or other meeting spot for folks to BS was not there if I recall. 
5. No presentations
6. No round table discussions or panels, unless you count an after show dinner.
7. No large airgun companies participate.
8. Fewer small companies participate.
9. Not enough people showing up.
10. It's a long haul from any big cities other than Sacramento. Makes me question the location. Of course California is a huge state.
11. There is a shooting range within driving range, but it would be awesome to be able to hold small demonstrations, shooting matches etc on the same land.
12. Michael runs the whole show, and thus is solely financially responsible. Perhaps building a partnership of multiple sponsors and spreading the .
13. Apparently very little effort is spent on advertising, and spreading the word.

I'd like to see:
1. more companies show up
2. talks about the industry, what's coming up, latest technology etc
3. demonstrations of airgun tuning, and repairs.
4. food and drink - at the very least to generate additional revenue. Coffee, donuts and other pastries, tea, hot dogs, sodas, sandwiches, fruit, etc. 
5. a place for folks to take a load off, and have friendly conversations. Perhaps picnic tables outside.
6. a test area to try out an airgun.
7. door prizes to attract more folks.

Anyway, something to think about. Ideas?

I want to help make this a better show.
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule
DAQ .458 LA Outlaw Rifle
DAQ .58 LA Outlaw Rifle
FX Streamline .25
Benjamin Bulldog .357
QB-79 .177
Crosman 1322
Tolman Skiff
Airgun Calculator

Steelhead

In all honesty, these and other ideas/improvements have been discussed multiple times about the PAE. When I attended it seemed like the few vendors, myself included, were disappointed with the lack of attendance. I don't have exact numbers, but it was really sparse. About half of the vendors went home after day one. This is not a condemnation of Mike and the PAE itself; I admire that he does the work and takes the risk of trying to put on the best event he can. But it's impossible to pull off without the support of some big name sponsors. The 2020 show had about 4 vendors that I can remember: Nielson Specialty Ammo, Stikman, JSAR, and Born Wild Shooting Chairs (me). The others were, as Steveoh said, guys and gals with used stuff for sale, trade. etc.  Most of the money changing hands were between the exhibitors out of boredom.

If it was in my back yard I'd go just to rub elbows, talk airguns, and network. But when it's a 4 hour drive, loading up the equipment, getting a hotel, paying the table fees, etc. a person at least wants to see a few more people come through the door. That's the whole point, right? Exposure to general public and the curious. Otherwise, we would bullshit in the forums like this one and achieve the same results from the comfort of our homes. It's a lot of work to go through to get 2 or 3 dozen people over two days. Very few people are driving to Placerville, CA for anything (no disrespect to Placerville) and there are not enough people in the immediate vicinity to warrant a draw for attendance. It's just too far out of the way.

The PAE needs to be in a big town with real sponsors, activities, and THE CHANCE to have some people come through the door. I understand that insurances, the state we're in, and overhead costs are a huge hurdle. But denial ain't just a river in Egypt. The current format is like Don Quixote jousting a windmill.

I applaud Mike's efforts and like the sign says at the Little League baseball field regarding umpires: 'If you think you can do a better job there's a signup sheet at the snack bar'. However, the variables stacked against the PAE in its current location and format are just not viable for any real numbers nor financially sustainable...for the promoter or the exhibitors.
Airforce Texan .308
FX Impact MKII .25
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Prowler .177
Texan .50
Sam Yang 909s Light Hunter
Born Wild Shooting Chair
Air Venturi compressor

steveoh

Quote from: Steelhead on December 02, 2021, 04:44:14 AM
In all honesty, these and other ideas/improvements have been discussed multiple times about the PAE. When I attended it seemed like the few vendors, myself included, were disappointed with the lack of attendance. I don't have exact numbers, but it was really sparse. About half of the vendors went home after day one. This is not a condemnation of Mike and the PAE itself; I admire that he does the work and takes the risk of trying to put on the best event he can. But it's impossible to pull off without the support of some big name sponsors. The 2020 show had about 4 vendors that I can remember: Nielson Specialty Ammo, Stikman, JSAR, and Born Wild Shooting Chairs (me). The others were, as Steveoh said, guys and gals with used stuff for sale, trade. etc.  Most of the money changing hands were between the exhibitors out of boredom.

If it was in my back yard I'd go just to rub elbows, talk airguns, and network. But when it's a 4 hour drive, loading up the equipment, getting a hotel, paying the table fees, etc. a person at least wants to see a few more people come through the door. That's the whole point, right? Exposure to general public and the curious. Otherwise, we would bullshit in the forums like this one and achieve the same results from the comfort of our homes. It's a lot of work to go through to get 2 or 3 dozen people over two days. Very few people are driving to Placerville, CA for anything (no disrespect to Placerville) and there are not enough people in the immediate vicinity to warrant a draw for attendance. It's just too far out of the way.

The PAE needs to be in a big town with real sponsors, activities, and THE CHANCE to have some people come through the door. I understand that insurances, the state we're in, and overhead costs are a huge hurdle. But denial ain't just a river in Egypt. The current format is like Don Quixote jousting a windmill.

I applaud Mike's efforts and like the sign says at the Little League baseball field regarding umpires: 'If you think you can do a better job there's a signup sheet at the snack bar'. However, the variables stacked against the PAE in its current location and format are just not viable for any real numbers nor financially sustainable...for the promoter or the exhibitors.

Well said Kevin. Yep, we've said it all before. But nothing changes.
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule
DAQ .458 LA Outlaw Rifle
DAQ .58 LA Outlaw Rifle
FX Streamline .25
Benjamin Bulldog .357
QB-79 .177
Crosman 1322
Tolman Skiff
Airgun Calculator

Alan

If Michael takes me up on my offer, there will be stipulations, and some of them are listed above.
Alan

I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. If you're a fellow Guild member, and you pass through Roswell, NM, I'll fill your tank as a courtesy (4,250 PSI limit).

Motorhead

Having spoken numerous times in the past with the previous promoter/ main man behind this venue prior ... ( John Brooks ) come to find out offers of helping with promotion and advertising  / partnership efforts have been rejected by Mike.
Being likely the closest AG enthusiast to this venues location, personally had made and placed threw out the county in previous years, street signs, banners and handed out FREE admission coupons to law enforcement, gun shops & other entities that could draw attendance.  All of this because of wishing to help, get larger attendance and promote the idea of an AIR GUN show rather than the typical "Gun Show" that also runs yearly at the same location.   ALL without much success or interest that was obvious and little thanks ???
* Yes also rejected has also been having it sequentially / along side the long standing gun show in Placerville sponsored by local gun shop BUCKHORN guns.

Yea pretty much many have tossed up there hands trying to help and Michael continues to be quiet as a mouse within the air gun community rejecting input or help until such time as these shows get closer.
In which he states / asks us all to promote and garner interest prior.  Obviously not a promoter as John B was years prior ... pretty sad.
"Home of Motorheads Air Gun Tuning Service"
    ***** Airguns need love too !! *****

archerhmr

Now maybe, with the increased use of Airguns over the past two years, more people may show up. Will I go to support, yes. I also know though, I will only be there 1 hour maximum. Not much there for my interests.

Frank in Fairfield

AA TX200 MKIII, .177
Avanti 499B
Baikal IZH46M w/Steve Corcoran Furniture
Baikal IZH60
Beeman P17
Beeman R1, San Rafael, .177
Benjamin Sheridan Blue Streak, Williams Peep
Benjamin Marauder Gen I, .177 w/Boyd's Blaster Stock
Benjamin Marauder Gen I, .25   w/Boyd's Varmint stock
Crosman 1720T
Crosman 2300S, Steve Corcoran Grips
Daisy Model 25, Variant #7
Diana 6M
HW35E, .177, Beeman/Williams Peep/12fpe VORTEK
Bug-a-Salt

Motorhead

Hello fellow west coast airgun enthusiasts! The 2022 Pacific Airgun Expo at the El Dorado County Fairgrounds in Placerville is ON! The contracts are signed and the insurance is acquired and now all that's left is to get the word out.

The show is March 19-20. As before, we can't afford to rent the hall Friday for setup, but we can get in early Saturday morning, and we don't open until 9:00.

We will gather after the show Saturday evening at Casa Los Abuelos next to the Best Western. The brewery we used to use didn't survive the pandemic, but this location has ample parking and space big enough to fit our group. This is a great networking opportunity for vendors and attendees to discuss business trends and share their vision of the future of our industry.

Marketing is about 4 months too late, but it's a new world of uncertainty and challenges so here we are, and I'm very happy to be able to look forward to an airgun show.

I do my part, such as it is, to help the show happen, but all of us that want a good show have to help get the vendors and attendees there. There are no deep pockets here, nor profit, and we're late, but each of us that wants a good show to go to is relying on each of us helping to spread the word.

I will run a newspaper ad in the Sacramento Bee, but that's about all I can afford, and in any case it has modest returns. Most of our attendees come from the airgun community, so you all are best poised to spread the word.

Please post on the chat forums, your own websites, and hang flyers at your local sporting goods stores and shooting range.

You can print flyers here: https://pacificairgunexpo.com/pae-flyers.html

I've already heard from some very exciting vendors who will attend. Everyone is expressing the basic sentiment of not particularly caring if the show is big or small. Everyone seems to want to support a show this year so we can get our momentum back up again.

Covid hit right when we were starting to hit a stride and had committed to doing the show annually rather than every two years. I think we all want to get back on track with an annual show. With the continued growth of our sport it is entirely likely our income could grow to the point we can afford a location closer to a metropolis, but first we have to get back to an annual show in Placerville were we can afford it for a few years and see if the growth in our industry translates into a growth of our airgun show.

I'm super excited to be able to see my old friends in the airgunning world, and maybe I'll sell a couple of guns (or more likely buy a couple). The online classifieds and shipping thing is a drag. I'd much rather save up the stuff I don't want anymore and sell it at the Pacific Airgun Expo.

If you need the advertising artwork in a different size or format for a banner online, please let me know the dimensions and I'll do it for you.

I'm working on pricing and setting up the online table renting software, so I'll get back to you when that's ready. As for pricing, I'm open to your input, but here's a couple of thoughts: I've always matched (or came close to) the prices the regular gunshows charge (even though our show's table rent income is far smaller). However the two shows in our area are charging wildly different rates, with one charging $50/table and the other $150 (with a silly $5 difference in price for wall vs. aisle, but I guess with the volume of table rent at the real gunshows it adds up).

At our last show (2019) we were at $90 aisle and $95 wall. I was thinking maybe we could bump it up a bit (everything, especially the insurance, is costing more this year), but on the other hand it's expensive for our vendors to travel, especially for an unknown attendee potential, and we sure don't want to lose anybody over price. Any opinions?

I know that was a lot of info, thank you for reading to the end. Please reach out to me with comments, ideas, offers of help, etc. etc.

I have a few emails to get back to from earlier in the month. Now that I'm back working diligently on the show, I'll reply to everyone.

Michael McKeown
info@pacificairgunexpo.com
www.pacificairgunexpo.com
707-337-9410
Copyright © 2022 Pacific Airgun Expo, All rights reserved.
This list is compiled from a previous e-blast list

This an e-mail to all those on Mikes e-mail list

"Home of Motorheads Air Gun Tuning Service"
    ***** Airguns need love too !! *****

steveoh

I'm curious about who is going to show up this year.

Vendor tables?

Individuals setting up tables?

Anything new?
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule
DAQ .458 LA Outlaw Rifle
DAQ .58 LA Outlaw Rifle
FX Streamline .25
Benjamin Bulldog .357
QB-79 .177
Crosman 1322
Tolman Skiff
Airgun Calculator

archerhmr

Hi Steve. I will be going. Why not go. I may only be there 30 minutes, but you never know. I was at the last show a maximum of one hour. I did meet Kevin and I saw an Alkin compressor for the first time. Should have bought slugs, but did not. Looked at the JSR, but was not interested.

Since then I have shot with you and Kevin and purchased an Alkin compressor. That was the win for me.

Do I think it is a good show, not really. But I will be happy to go, pay my $10 or $15 to get in, look around and just be happy that I supported them.

Frank in Fairfield

Quote from: steveoh on January 29, 2022, 09:41:36 AM
I'm curious about who is going to show up this year.

Vendor tables?

Individuals setting up tables?

Anything new?

If I go I will pay at the door.
AA TX200 MKIII, .177
Avanti 499B
Baikal IZH46M w/Steve Corcoran Furniture
Baikal IZH60
Beeman P17
Beeman R1, San Rafael, .177
Benjamin Sheridan Blue Streak, Williams Peep
Benjamin Marauder Gen I, .177 w/Boyd's Blaster Stock