News:

It is the start of Summer vacations, and for many, planting season too. But that doesn't mean you can't shoot your airgun! And you'd best, unless you want to lose your touch for the Fall hunting seasons, which will be upon us before we know it!

Main Menu

Custom .308 Slug for Casting in Tin

Started by rsterne, June 14, 2022, 12:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan

Being the spoil sport.... Perhaps we need to lobby for lead, regardless!
Alan

I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. If you're a fellow Guild member, and you pass through Roswell, NM, I'll fill your tank as a courtesy (4,250 PSI limit).

Loren

Quote from: Alan on June 16, 2022, 12:46:39 PMBeing the spoil sport.... Perhaps we need to lobby for lead, regardless!

I agree and at $33/lb it makes purely a novelty option for me and would have to do a barrel change to take real advantage of it with longer bullet shapes.

rsterne

I don't know what twist your barrel is, but I would certainly try it with what you have, you never know, it might work fine.... The Kolbe twist calculator I use, on the original BBT's at least, was pessimistic, and you could definitely use a slower twist than what it came up with....

Bob
🇺🇦    I support Ukraine and their struggle to remain free!    🇺🇦

Alan

Loren, buy it! I'll fund a few pounds if you're willing try? Among the other things you're doing!
Alan

I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. If you're a fellow Guild member, and you pass through Roswell, NM, I'll fill your tank as a courtesy (4,250 PSI limit).

Loren

I'm neck deep right now in other projects.  It will be a good fall winter project to try casting some tin.  I have a few .257 molds that would be good trials for lighter weights.

Chickenthief

Well spank my butt and call me Eddie!
I have been casting with tin from the early 80's (at least 5 tons) and have yet to see an adverse effect on any of my melting pots.

Now zink, thats a nasty substance.
Stainless all around or it will tear a hole in your pot over (a short) time. That and it calls for serious pressure casting.

Why not look at some of the alloys rotometals has to offer in the lead free range: https://www.rotometals.com/brands/Rotometals.com.html