News:

It is the start of Summer vacations, and for many, planting season too. But that doesn't mean you can't shoot your airgun! And you'd best, unless you want to lose your touch for the Fall hunting seasons, which will be upon us before we know it!

Main Menu

Ospho Blue - liquid or cream

Started by steveoh, June 06, 2022, 10:30:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveoh

I have an older Crosman 1377 that has a bit of rust. I have it apart to reseal (yet another one) and want to reblue it before putting it back together.

So, anyone with experience using Ospho Blue - should I get liquid or cream?

Thanks!
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule
DAQ .458 LA Outlaw Rifle
DAQ .58 LA Outlaw Rifle
FX Streamline .25
FX M3 Impact 700mm Sniper .25
Benjamin Bulldog .357
QB-79 .177
Crosman 1322
Crosman 1377 - HoRodded 10 FPE
Diana Model 27 (childhood airgun)
Tolman Skiff
Airgun Calculator

Tinkerer

I used the liquid years ago and got good results keeping the part warm and extra clean.  Put some in a shallow container so you can keep wetting your applicator and not contaminate the bottle of Ospho.
a heat gun on low should be enough.  I can't remember what else I did but I still have a pair that I did and the blueing is still there 20 years old.
Glen

Alan

I did not comment on this originally, because I've never used cold bluing. Back when the sporting goods store was open, I had access to Jim Curry's gun shop. Next time he was bluing, I'd haul over what I needed done. As you're no doubt aware, hot bluing can be rather dangerous, as the chemicals are toxic.

All said and done, I'm glad you didn't get into Cerakoting with some sort of camo take off. Or worse, the old floating film, dunk and coat process. It works, but it too is a messy process, one best cover up when preforming.

Lastly, I just wonder how the bluing process was used in the first place. Early Damascus barrels were often acidized to promote rust. Due to the way they were made, the resulting rust left some rather unique patterns. Oh well, that too is a lost art. 
Alan

I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. If you're a fellow Guild member, and you pass through Roswell, NM, I'll fill your tank as a courtesy (4,250 PSI limit).

steveoh

Looks like Cyclops Joe uses both. Interesting...

Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule
DAQ .458 LA Outlaw Rifle
DAQ .58 LA Outlaw Rifle
FX Streamline .25
Benjamin Bulldog .357
QB-79 .177
Crosman 1322
Tolman Skiff
Airgun Calculator

Loren

I have used the Birchwood-Casey cold blue liquid and have always been happy with the results. 

steveoh

I ended up with the Ospho Blue Cream.

Making a small slit in the tinfoil seal of the Ospho jar, makes it easy to squeeze out just enough rub on the steel. 

I used a medium coarse Scotch Bright pad to remove the old blueing and crusty rust, followed with a fine grit, and then some 600 grit Emory Paper. Finally polished with super fine bronze wool. Cleaned with alcohol and put the barrel and air tube in the sun to warm them up. First coat was really decent on the air tube but a bit thin looking on the barrel. Different steel I reckon.

Ended up with about 4 applications. With burnishing in between with the bronze wool.

Now the seals have to be redone as I did not have correct o-rings.

You cannot see attachments on this board.
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule
DAQ .458 LA Outlaw Rifle
DAQ .58 LA Outlaw Rifle
FX Streamline .25
Benjamin Bulldog .357
QB-79 .177
Crosman 1322
Tolman Skiff
Airgun Calculator

Tinkerer

Glen

steveoh

Quote from: Tinkerer on June 21, 2022, 04:48:41 PMThe blueing came out great!

Thank you :) It turned out pretty good. Not perfect, but looks way better than it did before. Now I wait for parts to rebuild as it stopped holding air.
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule
DAQ .458 LA Outlaw Rifle
DAQ .58 LA Outlaw Rifle
FX Streamline .25
Benjamin Bulldog .357
QB-79 .177
Crosman 1322