News:

It is the start of Summer vacations, and for many, planting season too. But that doesn't mean you can't shoot your airgun! And you'd best, unless you want to lose your touch for the Fall hunting seasons, which will be upon us before we know it!

Main Menu

Today I Went to Alkin Compressor

Started by archerhmr, May 26, 2022, 02:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archerhmr

Nine or ten months ago, I purchased an Alkin 31 Vertical. Have been extremely pleased with the unit. My wife and I are in New York for a wedding this weekend, but today we went to the Alkin Compressor shop.
Well it is far more than a shop. A large warehouse and a shop to service and work on the compressors. Evidently they have been in this current location for about 6 months.
Aydin was not available today, but Matt took care of me. After seeing the shop and talking to Matt, I know I made the correct choice with Alkin.
I rarely have much to say about products I use, but the Alkin is one hell of a compressor and they are here in the US and willing to help us.
Yes they are pricey. But my guns with scopes on them are at least $3000-3500. So why not a compressor at close to the same price range.
Enough said. Cannot wait to get home and shoot mine.

Alan

Quality is never cheap!

If there is a good thing about competition, it is pricing. The first PCP compressors were modified B25  1,500 PSI pressure pumps. those pumps actually cost more today, than they did way back when. Nowadays, a decent compressor is hovering around $450, with higher quality around $1,500. Top notch SCUBA (filtered) are upwards of $5,000. Similar SCUBA units 15 years ago, were triple that price.
Alan

I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. If you're a fellow Guild member, and you pass through Roswell, NM, I'll fill your tank as a courtesy (4,250 PSI limit).

Steelhead

"You can't expect champagne treatment on a Budweiser budget" - old farmer's advice

Air supply is a funny thing in our hobby. There's no difference in 'air'; it's all the same. Once it's in the gun it didn't matter if it came from a Yong Heng Frankenstein of ice buckets and duct tape or a Hill that looks like a Rolls Royce Merlin from a WWII Spitfire. On the paper at the range, one cannot tell the difference.

Most big purchases we make in this hobby have a noticeable performance enhancement. That could be a gun itself, optics, a super-tune, accessories, etc. and those should (hopefully) show better results downrange. Not so with compressors. The 'difference' is in the filling experience. Most of us started this hobby compressor-less. This involved hand pumping and/or going to a paintball facility or similar for fills. If you shoot a lot, and especially if you shoot big bore, this just becomes inconvenient. Hand pumping is good for survivalists but not really sustainable for recreation. Consequently, (for me at least) waiting in lines with 100 screaming teenagers, inconsistent availability/open times, and missing shooting opportunities because of air became too much.

I'm not a person who tinkers mechanically. I'm more of an artsy type than an engineer. I value trouble-free performance as much as anything. I did some research at the time (@ 4 years ago) and there were really only 3 options in the under-$2k class: Yong Heng, Air Venturi, and Omega. I bought an Air Venturi, put an hour meter on it, and thus far it's been flawless. I burst a disc when trying to go over 4k but that's been it.

It's really hard to financially justify $3k for a unit to supply air. However, what's your time and headaches worth to you? I want to do my activities when I want to them and I'll pay a premium for that. One of my best friends has a driveway and garage filled with half-running shit and budget gear. In the last 10 years he's purchased two boats and three trailers and been on the water (in his own rig) maybe four times. Same with his fishing gear; grinding reels, rods missing eyes, old line. It's hard to watch, and while he still catches fish the experience is greatly diminished by him fighting the gear EVERY time. Unnecessary.

That's how I feel about compressors. It's not about the air being better, it's about me being allowed to hopefully focus on other things and not have to worry about it. That's all. My next compressor will likely be something like an Alkin, but hopefully not for a long while. I didn't know that they're American made and after reading about their shop that certainly has appeal to me.

Thanks for posting this. It's always nice to know something about the products we use. 95% of what we buy in our hobby shows up to the US in containers, so seeing a hometown shop is cool.

Airforce Texan .308
FX Impact MKII .25
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Prowler .177
Texan .50
Sam Yang 909s Light Hunter
Born Wild Shooting Chair
Air Venturi compressor

archerhmr

Kevin you always have great responses. Alkin is actually a Turkish company. They have their North American operation in New Jersey. So if there is an issue, you can contact New Jersey for help and parts. I do wish they were made in USA, but not the case. I am guessing the Mariner 31 is their smallest high pressure unit.
From the size of their space, no doubt in my mind that they have contracts all over the US for some type of their units. I am glad I had the opportunity for the visit.

Steelhead

Thanks for confirming the Turkish origin. Not that it makes a difference for me philosophically, but at least iI know it can be purchased/serviced/maintained here in the US.
Airforce Texan .308
FX Impact MKII .25
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Prowler .177
Texan .50
Sam Yang 909s Light Hunter
Born Wild Shooting Chair
Air Venturi compressor

steveoh

Oh I have eyed those Alkin Compressors more than once. They look like they're built like tanks. Thought about getting one with a gas engine for going portable for big bore shoots. Maybe one day. :)

I started with a hand pump. That made me have stronger shoulders for sure, but it got old fast. Got a Yong Heng and used it hard until it self destructed a year later. Rebuilt it and have used it hard for another couple years. Then I inherited Alan's old Omega and that thing is way quieter and civilized. I also have a 12volt compressor that fills guns fine while on location.

Life is good when you have air!
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule
DAQ .458 LA Outlaw Rifle
DAQ .58 LA Outlaw Rifle
FX Streamline .25
FX M3 Impact 700mm Sniper .25
Benjamin Bulldog .357
QB-79 .177
Crosman 1322
Crosman 1377 - HoRodded 10 FPE