News:

It is the start of Summer vacations, and for many, planting season too. But that doesn't mean you can't shoot your airgun! And you'd best, unless you want to lose your touch for the Fall hunting seasons, which will be upon us before we know it!

Main Menu

Texan .50 cal Question

Started by rsterne, April 15, 2022, 08:41:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsterne

I would like to draw up a slug for the .50 cal Texan for NOE, and I need the following information....

What are the land and groove diameters of the barrel?

What is the twist rate?

What weight/length slugs shoot well and in a good velocity range?

Does the .50 cal have the same short chamber/leade as the other Texans, where a groove diameter slug will not chamber with a firm push from your thumb?....

Bob
🇺🇦    I support Ukraine and their struggle to remain free!    🇺🇦

Chickenthief

My Texan is narrowest at the muzzle (choked?) and a digital micrometer says .5103" at the widest.
The rifling marks are so narrow i'll have to switch to a digital caliber (@.510" at the widest) measures .504" at the rifling.

With my juryrigged cleaning rod i measured 885mm-155mm = 730mm ~28.75"
I think i might have read 1:26" somewhere so should we go with that?
Well i did the tight patch in the bore several times and each time came in around 28.75" +- a smidgen.

I have shot round balls, they are fine within 50m~55yds
The best i have shot is the Lee 515-450 sized to .512" (all i have) and greased in the bottom grove. They will go into one ragged hole at 50m~55yds all day long as long as i shoot tethered at 250bar~3625psi.
I have also shot the Lee 515-500 sized to .512" and it scattered more at close range.

I think the culprit is the bottle at the end of the frame acting as shoulder stock, the frame would/will flex like crazy and induce inacurracy.

Yes!
Somewhere around .308" is all it accepts.

A guy at AGN shoots an Accurate 625grain slug with fine results.
http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=51-625S

Chickenthief

All (5 shots each) shot at 50m~55yds, tethered at 250bar~3625psi.