News:

It is the start of Summer vacations, and for many, planting season too. But that doesn't mean you can't shoot your airgun! And you'd best, unless you want to lose your touch for the Fall hunting seasons, which will be upon us before we know it!

Main Menu

Seneca Recluse

Started by Majorrose, April 05, 2022, 05:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Majorrose

New to the forum and new to PCP big bore rifles. Just recently bought a Seneca Recluse and thinking of having it tuned. My question is; is it worth it? Does it change reliability or become finicky. Looking to have a rifle that would be effective on deer size game  inside 50 yards. Increased shot count would be nice as well as a little more power. My point is not sure what to expect. Thanks, Jim

steveoh

A Recluse is a two shot rifle. With carefully placed shot it will kill a deer, but if it were me I'd go to .45.

Recluses are accurate and are a 50 yard gun.
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule
DAQ .458 LA Outlaw Rifle
DAQ .58 LA Outlaw Rifle
FX Streamline .25
FX M3 Impact 700mm Sniper .25
Benjamin Bulldog .357
QB-79 .177
Crosman 1322
Crosman 1377 - HoRodded 10 FPE
Diana Model 27 (childhood airgun)
Tolman Skiff
Airgun Calculator

Steelhead

Some things that apply to all big bores will apply to the Recluse. Granted, I don't own a Recluse, but I do have a few big bores and one is a 909 Light Hunter. I'm just spit-balling some stuff here, but it may help you reconcile what you should expect:

1) A professional tune may improve performance, but at what cost? You will undoubtedly pick some FPS, but is one more shot worth the cost and potential for parts breakage and loss of warranty (if gun is new)? There's points to be made for both ways.

2) Treat it like a muzzleloader and think of it as a one-shot gun. You will indeed get a follow-up shot, but after that it's a crap shoot. Besides, how many game animals will stand around in one place at 50 yards waiting for you to reload?

3) I will assume that this is a field gun and not so much of a bench gun. Not that it can't be shot from a bench of course, but even from the bench it's a sub-100 yard gun. My .45 is zeroed at 60 yards and I'm 17" lower at 100. However, the bench taught me the scope dope and also how accurate it could be.

4) Accuracy. You should be @ 1.5" to 2" at 50 yards, and preferably better. That's where air/power/bullet type come into play.

5) Faster IS NOT BETTER...or at least usually isn't. Tether your gun to the scuba tank for consistent shots and when doing three shot groups you should be able to refine the zone the Recluse likes (see #4 about tightening groups)

6) Lube your bullets. Always. Your groups will be better, and your barrel will hopelessly foul if you do not.

7) Clean the barrel after every shooting session. As long as you're lubing bullets, it should be nothing more than a light brushing with lead remover and some patches. If you didn't or haven't lubed, you're in for a long session of cleaning and getting the lead out of the lans.

8) If you don't cast your own bullets, you can't go wrong with NSA slugs. They're affordable (comparatively) and very consistent. Consistency is paramount.

That's all I can think off of the top of my head. Airgunners by nature always seem to want the impossible. Granted, that's how we come up with innovation but there are limitations and often those are defiantly and stubbornly ignored. We'd all like a gun that:
has power to spare
is super-quiet
is hole-in-hole accurate
can shoot insane distances
is cheap and affordable
doesn't have mechanical issues
has no recoil
requires no maintenance

Big bores are fun and shockingly powerful, but they're still airguns and with that come parameters. Acceptability of those parameters and focusing on perfecting the performance that the weapon is capable of is what makes it fun. Trying to make a gun something it's not is just frustrating. Hope this helps. 
Airforce Texan .308
FX Impact MKII .25
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Prowler .177
Texan .50
Sam Yang 909s Light Hunter
Born Wild Shooting Chair
Air Venturi compressor

steveoh

Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule