News:

It is the start of Summer vacations, and for many, planting season too. But that doesn't mean you can't shoot your airgun! And you'd best, unless you want to lose your touch for the Fall hunting seasons, which will be upon us before we know it!

Main Menu

Airgun Fittings Standards

Started by steveoh, January 26, 2022, 07:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveoh

Alan and I  teamed up with Stephen Archer to encourage the Airgun industry to come up with standards for the Quick Fill Fittings aka Foster fittings that so many of our airguns and compressors use. We beg the Airgun companies to collectively create a specification for SAFETY, as many of us have had various Foster Fittings fail, cause damage and injure people. There currently is no spec, and some fittings are NOT compatible with each other and either they will not correctly pair, or they do so loosely and some of these fittings are rated much lower than the pressures we use them at.  Few companies are stepping up. I encourage every Airgun and Compressor owner to individually contact the companies who manufacture and sell these products and insist on specs to allow for proper safe quick fill connectors compatible with all brands.

There are three articles that Stephen Archer put together. Read, and pass the word on.

https://hardairmagazine.com/buyers-guides/hpa-fittings-warning-if-you-have-a-pcp-you-need-to-read-this/

https://hardairmagazine.com/buyers-guides/so-what-is-a-foster-fitting/

https://hardairmagazine.com/buyers-guides/why-some-hpa-fittings-dont-fit/
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule
DAQ .458 LA Outlaw Rifle
DAQ .58 LA Outlaw Rifle
FX Streamline .25
FX M3 Impact 700mm Sniper .25
Benjamin Bulldog .357
QB-79 .177
Crosman 1322
Crosman 1377 - HoRodded 10 FPE
Diana Model 27 (childhood airgun)
Tolman Skiff
Airgun Calculator

Alan

Our friends at HAM have gone way above the call of duty, and measured literally hundreds of fittings. One fact stands out: It appears that Crosman has the issue at hand, and has, shall I say, protected their interests by establishing a pseudo-standard. As Steve Archer has alluded to, this is a start towards a true Foster Fitting standard.

Let us all do our best to push the industry to act on their own, and standardize these HPA fittings—by any name—before someone get injured, maimed, or killed!

Alan

I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. If you're a fellow Guild member, and you pass through Roswell, NM, I'll fill your tank as a courtesy (4,250 PSI limit).

Alan

There is one glaringly evident factor, in the push for a standard, and that is a death of comments from any of the manufacturers!

Between H.A.M. and their editorials; Steve and my own comments on this site and on line; Several emails to several manufacturers; And others who have joined the effort; Not one single manufacturer has responded publicly or privately! One can draw their own conclusion.
Alan

I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. If you're a fellow Guild member, and you pass through Roswell, NM, I'll fill your tank as a courtesy (4,250 PSI limit).

steveoh

It's because they fear lawsuits from injured airgun owners. Maybe if they don't acknowledge the issue, it'll just go away.  >:(

Perhaps it's time to draft a letter that gets snail mailed, registered,  and goes to a comprehensive list of manufacturers and their lawyers. If I were a reporter I'd start asking Airgun representatives at the big Airgun shows, and do so on camera.

Hold my beer, I have an idea..
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule
DAQ .458 LA Outlaw Rifle
DAQ .58 LA Outlaw Rifle
FX Streamline .25
Benjamin Bulldog .357
QB-79 .177
Crosman 1322
Diana Model 27 (childhood airgun)
Tolman Skiff
Airgun Calculator

steveoh

Of course FX supplied a female foster fitting to be paired with the male foster fitting on my new M3. They are smart enough to understand that the lack of a Standard is an issue, best remedied by supplying both ends.

Hold my beer, I have another idea.
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule
DAQ .458 LA Outlaw Rifle
DAQ .58 LA Outlaw Rifle
FX Streamline .25
Benjamin Bulldog .357
QB-79 .177
Crosman 1322