News:

It is the start of Summer vacations, and for many, planting season too. But that doesn't mean you can't shoot your airgun! And you'd best, unless you want to lose your touch for the Fall hunting seasons, which will be upon us before we know it!

Main Menu

Lead free pellets

Started by Steelhead, December 14, 2021, 05:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelhead

Has anyone tried the lead free Polymag GTO or H&N Baracuda pellets? I'm thinking of ordering some to try, just in the event that rules change in the future for my home area. I'd like to know what my options are ahead of time.
Airforce Texan .308
FX Impact MKII .25
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Prowler .177
Texan .50
Sam Yang 909s Light Hunter
Born Wild Shooting Chair
Air Venturi compressor

steveoh

I have a couple tins of GTO in .22 and .25. They are pretty accurate but need lower power as they are so light.
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule
DAQ .458 LA Outlaw Rifle
DAQ .58 LA Outlaw Rifle
FX Streamline .25
FX M3 Impact 700mm Sniper .25
Benjamin Bulldog .357
QB-79 .177
Crosman 1322
Crosman 1377 - HoRodded 10 FPE
Diana Model 27 (childhood airgun)
Tolman Skiff
Airgun Calculator

Motorhead

Tried GTO's ... SKENCO ... H&N Greens with only limited success. as stated above mostly lower power and speeds to get any decent accuracy from them.
Lead replacements not even close IMO.
"Home of Motorheads Air Gun Tuning Service"
    ***** Airguns need love too !! *****

Steelhead

Sort of what I figured. Regardless of hardness, you can't replace the weight/size. I ran into the same issue with my powder burner .308 Remington. My standard lead-based 150 gr. Hornady and Nosler bullets worked fine in my gun but when I bought the non-lead GMX's they wouldn't fit in the chamber; too long and bolt wouldn't close. I switched to 125 gr. GMX's and that solved the problem, but pb's have a lot more leeway than ag's obviously.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.
Airforce Texan .308
FX Impact MKII .25
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Prowler .177
Texan .50
Born Wild Shooting Chair
Air Venturi compressor

Motorhead

What seldom enters the conversation is similar tho opposing to using Long lead pellets or slugs.  In that the gyroscopic balance with a given RPM tied to speed shot at .... changes radically with alloy projectiles.
You have greater length to make equal weight ( actually seldom makes equal weight ) ending up with Long and Light projectile that our conventional LEAD shooting barrels have a twist rate that is not optimized for.
Seal between Land / Groove can seldom be made with alloy due to hardness, so this differential between land / groove diameters ideally would / should become even less !!! That in turn would require alloy projectiles to be VERY high QC for diameter tolerance.  * see where I'm going ....  :o
"Home of Motorheads Air Gun Tuning Service"
    ***** Airguns need love too !! *****

Steelhead

I think so. The term that I think applies is a 'cascade' of variables. Some of those variables would make currently great shooting guns unusable and require at the very least retrofits or complete redesigns.
Airforce Texan .308
FX Impact MKII .25
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Prowler .177
Texan .50
Born Wild Shooting Chair
Air Venturi compressor

Alan

Seemingly, all of the pols want to get rid of lead. But there are a few truths about lead, the pols ignore.

First, lead is the most recycled metal in the world. I don't remember the percentage, but it is close to 90%.

I'll buy the fact that lead shot shouldn't be used for waterfowl, due to the toxicity when waterfowl eat it. But I'm unaware of any land-based animal who eats it. Do you?

What will the military use if lead is banned? Depleted uranium?

There is still many, many more tons of lead in the environment, left over from leaded gasoline, than any other source. And think about this. During WWII, lead was the most used metal. As for electric torpedoes, some 2,500 were used by the US, and each one dropped 90 pounds of lead into the ocean when used. The tonnage of lead in Av-Gas used during WWII, was many thousands of metric tons, speed all over the world by all of the powers. And we're worried about the small amount used in firearms? What stupidity!
Alan

I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. If you're a fellow Guild member, and you pass through Roswell, NM, I'll fill your tank as a courtesy (4,250 PSI limit).

Steelhead

Here's the deal...we all know this. Everything Alan said is true. Will pointing it out make a difference? No. Will shouting from the rooftops work? No. The politicos will do what they do, just as they always have. I'm not going to waste my time fighting a battle I cannot win. However, I will use my time and energy to work within the parameters that exist because I want to continue enjoying my hobby well into the future.

It's called being proactive. Do I want to see more laws passed? No. Are they going to be? Who knows, but experience and common sense (possessed by citizens but not necessarily lawmakers) dictates that one should start seeking alternatives before there are none. That's why I have over $100.00 worth of non-lead casting material to start working on non-lead slugs. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.
Airforce Texan .308
FX Impact MKII .25
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Prowler .177
Texan .50
Born Wild Shooting Chair
Air Venturi compressor

steveoh

I watch several YouTube channels that are all about exploring abandoned mines. A LOT of those mines are silver and lead mines. Where there's silver there's usually lead. In California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico etc there are a gazillion of these abandoned mines and the big ones have huge tailings that are constantly exposed to the elements, and they are always breaking down into smaller bits, that get washed into creeks and rivers.

Was watching this fellow panning gold last night, and he kept getting mysterious bits of what looked like gold, but turned out to be bits of lead that reacted with iron grates from an old but now illegal setup. The lead was essentially plated from the iron. The amount of lead was way more than the amount of gold found.  This was in what looked like a pristine river. Of course that river has a hundred or so years of mining and sluicing activity, and it is not pristine.

Lead is everywhere in these states.

Hell, the Coastguard used to pull up to buoys and replace the 12 volt batteries that ran the horns. They'd drop the old batteries right there in the water. They did this for many decades. One can imagine that there's a small fortune in batteries in the rivers and ocean.

Cars used to have lead wheel weights. Guess what happens to wheel weights when you hit a pothole in your car? Yep they fly off, land on the road and eventually make their way to the shoulder and beyond.

Meanwhile I just heard on the radio that "Up to 10 million households, schools and care facilities get their drinking water through lead pipes, and each pipe can cost thousands of dollars to replace."

But you know, that lead poisoning is all our fault. Grrrrrrrr.
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule
DAQ .458 LA Outlaw Rifle
DAQ .58 LA Outlaw Rifle
FX Streamline .25
Benjamin Bulldog .357
QB-79 .177
Crosman 1322
Tolman Skiff
Airgun Calculator

Alan

Our... Meaning us hunters and shooters. That was the point I was trying to make!

Alan

I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. If you're a fellow Guild member, and you pass through Roswell, NM, I'll fill your tank as a courtesy (4,250 PSI limit).

steveoh

Oh and don't forget the good stuff, lead paint. Makes me wonder what the federal government does to mitigate lead paint on all those abandoned military bases that litter the landscape, including the areas frequented by Condors.

Around here we have Cinnabar Mines. You know, Mercury, the stuff used to process gold. That's why the San Francisco Bay and other bodies of water around here have warnings to not consume too much of local fish. Heavy metals including Mercury contaminate the whole state. Hang on gotta go trim the horns on my head and file down my canine teeth.

Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule
DAQ .458 LA Outlaw Rifle
DAQ .58 LA Outlaw Rifle
FX Streamline .25
Benjamin Bulldog .357
QB-79 .177
Crosman 1322
Tolman Skiff
Airgun Calculator

Alan

Yes, mercury is bad stuff. Norway is still to this day, fighting Minamata disease, after the Brits sunk the German sub U-864, bound for Japan late in WWII.

Alan