News:

Enjoy your summer, and stay safe!

Main Menu

Thinking About a Zeus .58 Cal

Started by Loren, September 06, 2023, 11:49:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loren

Seems it and the big sister 72 cal have only received attention from the Youtube fanboys.  Does anyone have a real life relationship with one of these rifles? 

steveoh

Nope. But I do have a .58 DAQ rifle and pistol. Big boom!
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule
DAQ .458 LA Outlaw Rifle
DAQ .58 LA Outlaw Rifle
FX Streamline .25
FX M3 Impact 700mm Sniper .25
Benjamin Bulldog .357
QB-79 .177
Crosman 1322
Crosman 1377 - HoRodded 10 FPE
Diana Model 27 (childhood airgun)
Tolman Skiff
Airgun Calculator

Loren

steveoh

The .58 caliber DAQs are super fun.

The .58 DAQ rifle is a short barrel version, and the characteristics are:

1. There is substantial kick and muzzle rise. Surprised me, and others. One feller who shot mine got scoped. Somewhere is a video.

2. The rifle sucks air like it's going out of style.

3. There are quite a few .58 / .575 molds available for this caliber. I have a round ball, and a custom designed by Bob Sterne that is the bee's knees. I have a MiniƩ ball mold that is ok only. One issue is I have to shove it forward in the breech because of the hollow base. I also have a giant bullet that stresses my should too much when I shoot it. The kick and resulting flinch is something to see.

4. The .58 pistol is a hoot and fun to shoot at tin cans, metal targets etc. But the usable distance with its rainbow trajectory is a challenge.

5. If I shoot the rifle I go through massive amounts of lead.

Steveoh
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule
DAQ .458 LA Outlaw Rifle
DAQ .58 LA Outlaw Rifle
FX Streamline .25
FX M3 Impact 700mm Sniper .25
Benjamin Bulldog .357
QB-79 .177
Crosman 1322
Crosman 1377 - HoRodded 10 FPE
Diana Model 27 (childhood airgun)
Tolman Skiff
Airgun Calculator

Loren

I have not pulled trigger on ordering one.    I was on the wait list for an Altaros M24 and they contacted me and said they had rifles ready for shipping so being the weak willed AG addictive personality that I am.  I ordered one in .25 cal.  There went the .58 cal funds.  I did buy a hollow base .58 cal mold from NOE when they had a sale.

I have been working on a stock for a friends Remington 770 7mm Mag. The stock design will be a really good foundation for the Altaros action. 

Get that done and then might have .58 cal on my mind again. 

Have you thought about putting a muzzle brake on the DAQ?  It might help tame the muzzle rise.

Alan

It seems to me...

One of the allures of airguns in general, is the lack of muzzle report. Call it 'usable stealth' perhaps? But when it comes to big bores, no amount of suppression will make it even partly civil! And the recoil? Nada for me!
Alan

I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. If you're a fellow Guild member, and you pass through Roswell, NM, I'll fill your tank as a courtesy (4,250 PSI limit).