News:

Enjoy your summer, and stay safe!

Main Menu

Headed to Alaska this weekend!

Started by Steelhead, July 28, 2023, 06:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelhead

Glynnis and I are heading out for the Alaskan outback this weekend and will return next weekend (hopefully with a bunch of salmon, a suntan, and no bug bites)

Our outfitter experienced an unfortunate fire exactly one month ago, but he has rebuilt and is ready for us! As a backup plan, he took it upon himself to set us up with another outfitter 25 miles downstream on the same river system in case he wasn't going to be rebuilt. He had this worked before he even called and told me about the fire (July 4th weekend) That's why I chose a popular, well-respected outfitter. He had a solution and backup plan before he called. THAT'S impressive. We would've been out of luck for airfare and vacation scheduling/time off if he didn't come through.

We're ready for the adventure of lifetime with amazing scenery, tons of fish, float planes, jet boats, bears, moose, salmon...can't wait. Glynnis however could eat a pencil and shit out a diamond right now. She's never done anything like this and the lead up is a bit stressful...for both us, lol. She just found out tonight that there's no toilets in the sleeping cabins; another round of tears and anxiety. I didn't even bother to prepare her for going 35 mph in 6" of water while doing a slalom course through gravel bars and downed trees in jet sled, or landing in a little Buddy Holly killin' plane in the middle of a river.

I'll post some pics when we get back.
Airforce Texan .308
FX Impact MKII .25
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Prowler .177
Texan .50
Sam Yang 909s Light Hunter
Born Wild Shooting Chair
Air Venturi compressor

Tinkerer

Enjoy! and don't forget to comeback!!
Glen

Alan

I've had the pleasure of fishing on the Matanuska River, north of Anchorage. To say it was exhilarating, was an understatement! There is something special about cold water fly fishing, unlike any other. You WILL enjoy yourself.
Alan

I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. If you're a fellow Guild member, and you pass through Roswell, NM, I'll fill your tank as a courtesy (4,250 PSI limit).

Steelhead

Well, been back for a week and still not coming up for air, lol. I'm very busy with work but that's the price (if you can call it that...I work for myself) to pay for taking a week off. Alaska was great. We had unexpected hiccups with a lodge/guide, but it worked out in the end with insane amounts of fish caught and a good time by both Glynnis and me.

As I type this, I'm looking out at the horizon waiting for a hint of light so I can set out on my first deer hunt of the year (opening morning) I've scouted a really nice deer; biggest one I will have had the opportunity to hunt on my home turf. It's equal or bigger than the buck that I 'guided' my nephew on last year. It would make sense as my sister set up a trail cam just for shits and giggles last year and ended up catching two bucks in the same picture, both big 3x3's. My nephew killed one and we never did see the other one. This is probably him.

Not a lot to report on the airgun front, other than the usual pesting around the dairy for Euro doves. I had to make a lot of room in my freezer for 125 lbs. of sockeye and silver fillets so I had to rid myself of some crab bait that was taking up space (easy trade, wild sockeye fillets for fish heads) I started to think by mid November and crab season I can stock up on Euro dove breasts for baits the crab traps. I can rack and stack those much better than fish heads. Good excuse to keep whacking doves.

I see a hint of pink on the horizon. Time to get walking. No driving this morning. The buck that I saw is somewhere in a creek bed about 500 yards from the house. 
Airforce Texan .308
FX Impact MKII .25
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Prowler .177
Texan .50
Sam Yang 909s Light Hunter
Born Wild Shooting Chair
Air Venturi compressor

Alan

Fishing can be a really relaxing sport. Too bad there isn't something like it in New Mexico.
Alan

I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. If you're a fellow Guild member, and you pass through Roswell, NM, I'll fill your tank as a courtesy (4,250 PSI limit).