News:

Enjoy your summer, and stay safe!

Main Menu

FX True Ballistic Chronograph

Started by Alan, June 10, 2023, 02:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan

I'm blessed! I'm one of the few end users (as of 6-9-23) who has one of FX's True Ballistic Chronograph (TBC) in my hands. I must admit I'm still a neophyte using the device, so consider this a first-glance report. If you need to know more, here is the link to download the manual (https://fxairguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/05/True-Ballistic-Chronograph-20230322-Rev6.pdf). This manual, and the one which came with the TBC, are a bit out of date. For example, the RA4 ballistic profile IS included, but isn't mentioned in either manual.

For the record, the RA4 is the correct one for the 22LR cartridges. The BC data is close (no cigar) to that needed for most airgun slugs, but falls short at longer distances (pun intended!). Bob Sterne does have some information on this profile in his section of this site.

There are a few really good things about the TBC. First of all, absolutely flat works every single time! No fiddling with positions (if you follow the instructions in the manual), no microphones, nada! Once powered on, you can set all of the necessary parameters (see manual). Once you do that, a short push of the power on button, activates the radar. Below is a typical screen showing the muzzle velocity, and at the distances selected during the set up.

By the way, I've played a bit with the reporting distance, and it will read out to 250 yards, Shen shooting my .25 caliber, NSA slugs. I haven't tried it with a .177 airgun yet, but I suspect it will detect it out to at least 75 yards. Metric distances can be selected too.

The second photo shows the summery display replete with the calculated BC! Plug those numbers into a Kestrel® (https://kestrelballistics.com/), and you're going to be dead on target!

There are some drawbacks too. The screens on the TBC cannot be saved! Yes, the manual say you can use the standard FX app, but at present the app does not save anything but the velocity. In case you missed it, no BC data! Let us hope FX fixes this issue soon.

The TBC doesn't come with a USB charger, but it does have a USB-B to USB-C cable. This allows it to be charged from most late-model vehicles, and just about every computer. But with a street price of just over $1,000, it should have a wall wart charger included.

As I get better acquainted with the TBC, I'll do an update to this short article.
Alan

I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. If you're a fellow Guild member, and you pass through Roswell, NM, I'll fill your tank as a courtesy (4,250 PSI limit).

Tinkerer

Looks impressive.  Time to save my penny's again to eventually get one for myself.  Thanks for the write up Alan.
Glen

rsterne

Looks great, but they really need to have an SD card that stores all the data, and therefore the ability to look at it in detail on a computer (the LabRadar data is about every foot along the track)....

Bob
🇺🇦    I support Ukraine and their struggle to remain free!    🇺🇦

Alan

I agree. I've done about all of the research I can do, until I hear back from FX USA. The consensus appears to be... Further software changes to the smartphone app(s) will be done to accommodate the saving of data on whatever smartphone you have. This makes more sense to me for a variety of reasons.

I have the hardware and software to see the BluTooth data stream, but I can't decipher it. It appears to be somewhat more complex than just sending the muzzle velocity, as the data stream is about 20 Kbytes long.

The other frustrating issue (being the curious type that I am!), there is no specs on the processor, RAM storage, or any other "spec". In fact, some of the dealers who were lucky enough to get a demo unit, didn't even get a manual!

The addition of the RA4 profile is in a firmware release on FX's web site, with no date attached! They do say to refer to the on-line manual, but the RA4 IS NOT discussed within the latest on-line manual! As Chester Riley would have said... "What a revolting development this is!"
Alan

I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. If you're a fellow Guild member, and you pass through Roswell, NM, I'll fill your tank as a courtesy (4,250 PSI limit).

rsterne

As summarized by Miles Morris.... "It is a shame that the unit, especially if it is working to the claimed ranges, does not pass its data through to the user, as it must be collecting vast amounts of very usable data"....

FX needs to realize that while most users may not want anything beyond the BC (in either G1, G7 or RA4 format), the raw data will allow the serious user to determine which drag profile is the most suitable for their projectile, or if a new one can be created that works better than any of the current ones (particularly for airguns).... Storing the data on an SD card (or USB thumb drive) so that the velocity curve vs time and/or distance can be saved and analyzed, like the LabRadar does, is a necessity, IMO.... I would not purchase one without that ability....

Bob

Alan

As of this morning, I believe FX has gotten the "picture". Hopefully, we'll get further updates in the various apps sooner than later.
Alan

rsterne

I hope you're right.... It looks to have great potential.... and once the market gets competitive, LabRadar may step up to the plate and increase their range!....  8)

Bob

Alan

Speaking of range...

This morning, shooting across wet alfalfa, it did see 4 out of 5 shots at a setting distance of 300 yards. Not bad. Temp was about 70 ish, humidity was 37%.
Alan

Alan

Okay, the temperature was 66°, the humidity was 45%. Set at 300 yards (as far as you can set it), over regular old ground with some weeds, it easily measured a consistent 300 yards on every shot. I made darn sure the radar beam was aimed just like FX says to.

I have a .20 caliber break barrel, but did not bring it with me.

My .177 pump gun, shooting the 8.04 Predator pellets, shoots at ≈720 with 6 pumps. It hits the ground before it gets to 300 yards, but the FX does read it to 75 yards most of the time at ≈410 (slight 45° wind). As I recall, the BC measured .02 something. That is asking for a lot in my estimation!

I'm still of the opinion, that the engineers at FX, were a bit reluctant to release the unit without fully implementing the data stream. But then again, they're not the bean counters! The correspondence from Bob and Miles, certainly helped the situation.

Alan

rsterne

Please keep us informed of any news from FX.... The range is certainly impressive, if we can get complete data streams, and the ability to save and use the information on a computer it will be a great unit....

Bob