News:

Enjoy your summer, and stay safe!

Main Menu

Needed - Atlas 12" Lathe Tailstock Quill / Ram/ Barrel / Spindle

Started by rsterne, January 26, 2023, 02:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsterne

Whatever you want to call is, mine is stripped!.... The Acme threaded screw that drives it by the handwheel is fine, but the female threads in the ram are shot....

If you have one, or know where I can get one, please let me know....  :roll:

Bob
🇺🇦    I support Ukraine and their struggle to remain free!    🇺🇦

rsterne

The quill is 5.32" long x 1.123" OD.... It has an MT2 taper and the threads are 1/2"-10 Acme, left hand.... It has a 5/32" wide keyway full length on the bottom, and the scale is 3" long.... Because of the depth of the keyway, I would not be able to bore it larger than 3/4" for a replacement nut.... The current threads are 3/4" long, but I think I could go an inch deep without interfering with length for the MT2 center....

I did see the Acme nuts on McMaster Carr, but they don't ship to Canada.... round would be the way to go, I guess....

Bob

rsterne

OK, so the panic is over, I have ordered two flanged Acme nuts, and I can machine the flange off and bore the quill to suit and then Loctite in the nut.... and I will have a backup, if the first one fails I can heat it up, pull it out, and put in the other one....

However, I think I will purchase another used quill if I can put a deal together on a good one, just in case....

Thanks to all who helped.... The response was overwhelming, and much appreciated....  8)

Bob

rsterne

I repaired my lathe today.... Bored out the quill and inserted a new Acme threaded brass bushing with Loctite 638.... It turns out that the difficulty I had drilling those Metric bolts was partly the threads in the process of stripping.... The repaired lathe drilled them no problem, with HSS drill bits....  ::)

Bob

bnowlin

Great to hear Bob it's nice when things come togethher.
Bobn

Alan

Alan

I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. If you're a fellow Guild member, and you pass through Roswell, NM, I'll fill your tank as a courtesy (4,250 PSI limit).