News:

It is the start of Summer vacations, and for many, planting season too. But that doesn't mean you can't shoot your airgun! And you'd best, unless you want to lose your touch for the Fall hunting seasons, which will be upon us before we know it!

Main Menu

More Ground Squirrels Than Ever Before

Started by Steelhead, August 04, 2022, 12:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steelhead

The dairy where I'm at always has some pests and varmints. Ground squirrels were around, but very isolate in small colonies along a creek bed. To make a successful on them with a .22 or shotgun always felt like a bonus; like you shot a trophy rare big game animal.

This year it is insane how many ground squirrels there are. They've been coming back the last few years but now it's an explosion. The worst of it is that they've hollowed out the foundation on the end of a very important, large, and expensive barn. The concrete is sagging and will eventually split. I have been steadily picking away at them all summer and what was once an exception is now the rule. I went from a couple a year to 'I've lost count'. I'm guessing I've shot @ 30-40 all within 150 yards of the house.

The only good part about the whole thing is that it is GAME F$%^ING ON for an airgun hunter, lol! Today I drove my truck around the corner of the barn and put the Born Wild Shooting Chair in the bed. I sat for @ 30 minutes and took 4 shots, with three hitting their mark. I recovered two fat adults. Both head shots peeking out of their burrows. It was relatively close at @ 50-60 yards so I was bit embarrassed that I missed any at all. I DID get greedy though and tried for a head shot when a body shot would've been fine. Won't make that mistake again. Last night I took three shots in about 15 minutes and connected on all three. I recovered two of the three and both were young.

From a purely selfish standpoint, it's a real treat to get off of work, spy some squirrels as I'm parking the truck, grab the FX and go pick at least one. Mix in a Euro dove or two. A 15 minute stroll to relax, whack a varmint or two, shoot the shit with the worker on the ranch...there are worse ways to begin or end a day.
Airforce Texan .308
FX Impact MKII .25
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Prowler .177
Texan .50
Sam Yang 909s Light Hunter
Born Wild Shooting Chair
Air Venturi compressor

steveoh

Awesome shooting and good on you for thinning the herd. Those are some pesky varmints.

Twice in the last few nights, I'm sleeping and my wakes up to ask if I heard the commotion in the chicken run. Nope. So I listen, and it's the rats running around on the fencing. That means it's time to thin my gears of Rattus Rattus. Joy.
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule
DAQ .458 LA Outlaw Rifle
DAQ .58 LA Outlaw Rifle
FX Streamline .25
FX M3 Impact 700mm Sniper .25
Benjamin Bulldog .357
QB-79 .177
Crosman 1322
Crosman 1377 - HoRodded 10 FPE
Diana Model 27 (childhood airgun)