News:

Halloween, Thanksgiving, and then Christmas! Time is flying, and it is that part of the year when your better half is looking for gift ideas. This is a reminder to start hinting!

Main Menu

NOE to Make Swaging Dies, Core Molds and Press

Started by rsterne, November 17, 2022, 04:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsterne

I have been talking to Al Nelson at NOE, and he is planning to build and sell a new Swaging Press, Dies, and Core Molds appropriate for airgun use.... The dies will be made in .217 cal, .250 cal, .300 cal, and .357 cal, and will have the capability to make slugs over a wide range of weights within each caliber.... The core molds will be slightly smaller diameter than the size of the dies, and will have 5 (or more) sets of NOE's "RG Pins", to allow casting cores of varying weights.... You then drop the core into the press, pull the handle, and the lead is extuded to fit the die, which forms the finished shape, including the Hollow Point....

Al asked me to draw a range of slug sizes in each caliber, to shown the wide range that could be made by this process.... Here is what I came up with.... The maximum length for the die is 2 calibers, the nose is a Tangent Ogive, and the Meplat is 60% of the caliber, with a large HP cavity.... The body is parallel from the back of the nose to the base, allowing the distance the ram travels to vary the weight of the slug.... The lightest slugs shown are about the minimum you can make, to have sufficient bore contact to insure the slug chambers straight....

You will note that the heaviest weight in each caliber is at least twice the weight of the lightest, showing the great flexibility of this system.... Al plans to start with the sizes shown, but will make different diameters of dies to work with various barrel sizes.... For example, you will be able to get a .22 cal. die in 0.218" instead of 0.217", or a .30 cal. die in 0.303" instead of 0.300".... He will likely expand the range to include .177 cal, and .457 cal, and others at a later date.... I would think he will also sell long RG pins that you can shorten yourself on a lathe, so that you can create any weight you want within the ranges shown.... I have no idea when this swaging system will become available, or the price, but as I get more information I will keep you informed....

Bob
🇺🇦    I support Ukraine and their struggle to remain free!    🇺🇦

Alan

Alan

I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. If you're a fellow Guild member, and you pass through Roswell, NM, I'll fill your tank as a courtesy (4,250 PSI limit).

steveoh

Oh this is awesome. Now, .257 would be awesome. But .25x will make me happy too.
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule
DAQ .458 LA Outlaw Rifle
DAQ .58 LA Outlaw Rifle
FX Streamline .25
FX M3 Impact 700mm Sniper .25
Benjamin Bulldog .357
QB-79 .177
Crosman 1322
Crosman 1377 - HoRodded 10 FPE
Diana Model 27 (childhood airgun)
Tolman Skiff
Airgun Calculator

rsterne

I agree, .257 would be kewl to do.... but since the weights for that start where .25 cal leave off, it makes everything different.... I'm not so sure I want to start swaging for .257 cal, as you can't reduce the mid-body diameter like on my Bob's Boattails to reduce bore drag on the (typically long) .257 cal rounds.... In addition, the ram needed to make boattails has to have a 0.015" rim to make it strong enough to avoid breakage and cracking.... and that means a large step down behind the rear of the body.... That was the big change I made in my new Bob's Boattails, reducing the depth of the rebate step, to aid in reattachment of the flow on the boattail.... That change appears to have made a significant improvement in BC and stability....

Bob

steveoh

Is Noe producing your new Bob's Boattails in .257?

Quote from: rsterne on November 18, 2022, 06:24:03 PMI agree, .257 would be kewl to do.... but since the weights for that start where .25 cal leave off, it makes everything different.... I'm not so sure I want to start swaging for .257 cal, as you can't reduce the mid-body diameter like on my Bob's Boattails to reduce bore drag on the (typically long) .257 cal rounds.... In addition, the ram needed to make boattails has to have a 0.015" rim to make it strong enough to avoid breakage and cracking.... and that means a large step down behind the rear of the body.... That was the big change I made in my new Bob's Boattails, reducing the depth of the rebate step, to aid in reattachment of the flow on the boattail.... That change appears to have made a significant improvement in BC and stability....

Bob
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule
DAQ .458 LA Outlaw Rifle
DAQ .58 LA Outlaw Rifle
FX Streamline .25
FX M3 Impact 700mm Sniper .25
Benjamin Bulldog .357
QB-79 .177
Crosman 1322
Crosman 1377 - HoRodded 10 FPE
Diana Model 27 (childhood airgun)
Tolman Skiff
Airgun Calculator

rsterne

They are coming.... I know, broken record....  ::)

Scott Hull used the 106 gr. 7mm to place 2nd at the EBR.... He is very pleased with it.... He measured the BC at 0.26 with his LabRadar.... That will be a 78 gr. in .257 cal.... with a 90 gr. longer version coming as well....

Bob