News:

Halloween, Thanksgiving, and then Christmas! Time is flying, and it is that part of the year when your better half is looking for gift ideas. This is a reminder to start hinting!

Main Menu

How did you get your .30cal to be "backyard quiet"?

Started by JungleShooter, October 28, 2022, 11:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan

We're far off the thread here, but the discussion is no less relevant.

Efficiency is indeed something to strive for. But conquering the lack of efficiency, shouldn't rely on a bigger air reservoir! Nor is it just the hammer and/or valve and/or regulator. Until recently, FX was alone in using a hammer stop as part of the tuning process. The SSG (and other meant to accomplish the same job—limit hammer bounce) is yet another tool in the efficiency chest. But frankly, I don't know what the next step might be. Or could be?

My FX Impact Mk III shoots at 988 ± 2 FPS. I don't think the Daystate electronically-controlled airguns are even that good. All this said, there are the issues of slug design (we're past redesigning pellets), which have proven there is still room left for tweaking. Oddly enough, Bob Sterne is there too!
Alan

I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. If you're a fellow Guild member, and you pass through Roswell, NM, I'll fill your tank as a courtesy (4,250 PSI limit).

JungleShooter

🔸 Gerard,

good to hear about your progressing recovery. Thank God for medicine, doctors, nurses (and caring family memmbers!).

Bob Sterne has been a blessing to me and my airgunning as well. His insights, graphs, articles, the works — just awesome. SOOO helpful! 😊

The SSG seems very interesting to get the most out of a gun... — but since my mechanical/technical growth has been about lush as the lettuce plant in the Sahara — I might need someone to walk me through the steps. Otherwise I'm just going to mess up my guns — considering that I'm living on an isolated airgun island (i.e., in Peru there are very few, and air-gunsmiths and airgun knowledeable people are as rare as honest politicians, if you catch my drift....  ;) ).

🔸 Allan,

I admit that larger calibers are not necessary to dispatch pigeons.
I do remember some talk on several forums about the joy of overkill. So, you can file it under that name.

🔸 Tinkerer,

thank you for your additional info. You seem to have made a lot of good decisions to keep things quiet:
• long barrel
• high-tech research-based silencer

Very nice!! 👍🏼

Matthias

❓ PS:  I was going to add a photo — and now as I search for it I can't find neither
▪ insert a photo, nor
▪ attach a file to my post.

(Uploading the photo to some photo service isn't an option, we all know how that turned out the last time with the — legal but immoral — ransom requests by an online provide how shall remain unnamed....)

Alan

When you post, use preview, and what you get looks like this. Just click the add button, and then insert your photo. Remember, about 500K is as large as you can post.

Alan

I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. If you're a fellow Guild member, and you pass through Roswell, NM, I'll fill your tank as a courtesy (4,250 PSI limit).