News:

Halloween, Thanksgiving, and then Christmas! Time is flying, and it is that part of the year when your better half is looking for gift ideas. This is a reminder to start hinting!

Main Menu

Pumper Is Its Own Thing

Started by Bob La Londe, August 19, 2022, 05:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob La Londe

Break Barrel, Pumper and Springer Airguns

How odd.  I was just inside my old Model 1 yesterday and noted how much like the PCPs I've been using it is.  I saw this group title and found it just a bit discordant.  Not quite jarring, but...
CNC Molds N Stuff
http://www.cncmolds.com

rsterne

Yes, pumpers don't really belong in that catagory, they are a pneumatic, like a PCP or CO2 gun.... An "Air Conserving Pumper" (aka "Retained Air Pumper") is actually a PCP with an onboard pump!....

Bob
🇺🇦    I support Ukraine and their struggle to remain free!    🇺🇦

spingerpreacher

what category would my Daisy 753 single-stroke be?

i figure it's a "pumper" if it requires more than one stroke.  a springer if it uses a spring, which should include break-barrels.  what about gas-ram? 

perhaps indicate rifles or pistols or both? 'cause there are pistol version of all of those.

rsterne

753 is a Single Stroke Pneumatic....SSP....

A gas-ram is a spring, so still a Springer....

Bob

spingerpreacher

Alan

I guess I'll take the blame here, even though I didn't name the forums; that was the previous owner. I suspect part of the naming sequence was the "dislike" for these specific models.

I do own a pumper (397 Benjamin), which has had a few mods making it a friendly back yarder. I've owned several gas ram units, and all were essentially junk! I own a Diana 54 (and a similar Chinese copy), and considering they're springers, they're much more accurate than any of the gas ram units.

I've come close to owning several CO2 units, but I want one (rifle) with a threaded barrel for a suppressor addition. None made that I can find.

But my love for PCPs is non stop. How can you fault better than .5 inch, at 100 yard groups?
Alan

I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. If you're a fellow Guild member, and you pass through Roswell, NM, I'll fill your tank as a courtesy (4,250 PSI limit).

spingerpreacher

i'd be happy with 100Y.  oooh, indoors too while i'm wishing. :)

the naming convention probably isn't anything to really worry much over, but refinement can be good.

i tried PCPs a couple times, didn't stick.  spent more time getting ready than shooting. :o

now, if i had $6k to blow, i wouldn't mind a little tinkering on occasion.

dunno what your needs are Alan, but I found this one to be the quietest co2 rifle i've ever shot, and that's been a few:
https://www.umarexusa.com/umarex-fusion-2-quiet-co2-pellet-rifle-177-compact-airgun

thanks for the input, hope to read more from y'all.

Alan

As a rule, lower powered .177s a rather quiet. The 397 I have, does has a suppressor, a slight mod to the valve port, and a SuperSear. A snap of a finger is louder. It wouldn't be that loud, but the hammer smacking the valve does cause most of the din.
Alan

I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. If you're a fellow Guild member, and you pass through Roswell, NM, I'll fill your tank as a courtesy (4,250 PSI limit).

rsterne

I don't know what else you would call a device that increases its resistance to compression the more it is compressed, other than a spring.... In fact, in industry use, gas-rams are often called "die springs"....

http://www.n-forcer.com/content/pdf/Mini.pdf

The problem with "gas-rams" is that their initial compression force is much greater than a steel coil spring.... This makes them harder to cock for a given FPE, and a destroyer of scopes, compared to conventional springs.... Generally, they are not as pleasant to shoot because of the harsh recoil.... Mind you, the same thing can be said of "Magnum Springers", regardless of the compression system.... Springers were so much nicer when they were all less than 12 FPE.... The main advantage of a Gas-Ram is that it can be left cocked indefinitely without loss of power (although not all "springers" do so either)....

Pumpers have always been divided into two types.... Multi-Stroke Pneumatics (MSPs) and Single-Stroke Pneumatics (SSPs).... Both designations are crystal clear in their meaning.... A relative recent (within the last 20 years or so) crossover between Pumpers and Pre-Charged Pneumatics (PCPs) is the Retained Air Pumper (RAP), usually known in the USA as the Air Conserving Pumper (ACP).... It can either be considered a PCP (usually with a small reservoir) with an onboard pump, or an MSP with a larger valve that retains air instead of dumping it on every shot.... They can be tuned for 2 or more shots, depending on the desired power level and reservoir volume....

Bob

Alan

One more comment or two.

The Diana 54 I own, is less than 12 FPE. I don't remember the actual number, but if memory serves, it was ≈9.4 shooting Mini-mags. At twenty-five yards (using a rest and 9 power scope), groups are barely .30 caliber across. This is about as good as anyone could expect. Unless of course, you were using a Walther LG400 Alutec Competition rifle, or something similar. It just isn't backyard compatible.
Alan