News:

It may be Winter, but Spring is coming. So start planning for your first airgun outing.

Main Menu

Hi everyone

Started by D Hatchman, August 18, 2022, 11:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D Hatchman

Hi, new to modern airguns come from a clay shooting background but willing to learn.  Constructing a 30mtr  range in a barn.  Too old to operate break barrels or under/side levers so I have a couple of PCP weapons I m sure I'll get used to them one day.  I chose 6.35mm because they are easier to handle but the guns are very powerful, that is a concern. But my eyesight is good and I can shoot straight. Open sights, standing is the norm. I feel that Tele and rests takes the challenge away but each to they're own.

Alan

Welcome.

I'm in the same league as you (82 years old). I too use the .25 caliber. However, like most PCPs, my Impacts are tunable to almost any power level. My Mk III is current shooting NSA 26.8 Gr. hollow points, at just over 60 FPE (1011 FPS). Since most of my shooting is in a exurban area, distance (power?) is indeed a consideration. This is one of the reasons I use a scope, as this minimizes misses.

Most wildlife I shoot can be classed as pests, both birds and small game up to coyote size. The fox I shot last week weighed about 25 pounds, and although it didn't just drop, it didn't last more than 20 yards. Had I been shooting a lower powered airgun, that might not have been the case. In other words, the power level should fit the game being taken.

What PCPs are you using?
Alan

I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. If you're a fellow Guild member, and you pass through Roswell, NM, I'll fill your tank as a courtesy (4,250 PSI limit).

D Hatchman

Hi Alan, Im not far behind you at 71 next birthday and with fingers like sausages I have difficulty with small pellets. I have two Hatsans and a Yong Heng pump.  I did buy the Hatsan hand pump, it has good reviews, tried it once - seriously??? I shoot targets maybe the odd rat but that's about it.  Reasonably happy with the guns would like them to be less agricultural "crunchy" if that makes sense.  Apparently taking them down and de burring everything could help but I m nowhere near that confident yet.

Alan

You're right about the "crunchy" issue. I've owned a couple of Hatsans, and didn't particularly like them for accuracy. I polished the barrel of one of them, when helped, but still a bit clunky.
Alan

I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. If you're a fellow Guild member, and you pass through Roswell, NM, I'll fill your tank as a courtesy (4,250 PSI limit).

Hexkey

Hey Folks, I have been into airguns for about 6 years and I love it! Started with springers (so I could do some pest control and not spook the horses and neighbors) and now I have stepped up to pcp with tanks, compressor and all the fun that comes with. Including eager grandkids!

Steelhead

Welcome! Fortunately, PCP's are quieter than springers for neighbors and horses.
Airforce Texan .308
FX Impact MKII .25
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Prowler .177
Texan .50
Sam Yang 909s Light Hunter
Born Wild Shooting Chair
Air Venturi compressor