News:

Enjoy your summer, and stay safe!

Main Menu

A Beginer All Over Again BULLBOSS .25

Started by Bob La Londe, June 29, 2024, 08:15:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob La Londe

Refurbished Hatsan Bullboss arrived yesterday. 

First impressions...

I opened it out in front of the shop where I was covered with a camera just in case there was anything wrong with it.  It felt kind of loose in the box, and it was.  The original factory packaging was completely absent.  There were a handful of plastic airbags in the box, and the two magazines we're floating around loose in there as was the gun.  It must have received relatively gentle treatment and or the finish is relatively tough because I didn't see any appreciable rub marks.

I picked the gun up out of the box. And the first thing I noticed is it's pretty darn heavy.  I'm sure somebody's documented it's weight somewhere, but I'll put it on the postal scale in the office when I think of it When I am in the shop.  I think it may be the heaviest air gun I own now. 

I wanted to see what the air charge was so I flipped it up and took a look at the mannometer (gauge).  I was hoping I'd be able to shoot it a few times before I had to look if any of my air tanks had any air left in them.  You know the red area at the end of the scale?  Yeah... it was way past that.  I don't know if it was shipped overfilled or if that was the result of riding around in a hot UPS truck in the Arizona desert all day long.  I hope it isn't locked up because I don't know how to bleed off air if it is. 

My wife pulled in and let me know there were groceries to unload, so I put the gun in my air conditioned office to cool down. 

Actually, I think the way to bleed air off is to remove the tank and use a special tool to bleed air directly from the tank which I don't remember seeing in the box.  That's okay.  I remember seeing it in one of the videos I watched. It's a relatively simple tool. I can make one if I have to. I do have a machine tool or two.  At least the fill probe came with it. 

I've got a lot of catch up work to do this weekend. Several stock molds to cut. A couple of customs I need to get redesigned because I'm a little bit behind schedule. A couple new stock designs that I've kind of committed to getting online and available.   Maybe if I can get all the machines running today at the same time? I can open the back door of the shop and see if the darn thing will shoot. 
CNC Molds N Stuff
http://www.cncmolds.com

Alan

Just remember one thing Bob. The older you get, the more procrastination becomes the norm! Best shoot a few rounds, before you get lost in the transition! Or is that, translation?
Alan

I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. If you're a fellow Guild member, and you pass through Roswell, NM, I'll fill your tank as a courtesy (4,250 PSI limit).

Bob La Londe

Its beer thirty... 6:55 local time.  I don't drink and shoot (or drink and work in the shop), and I really want a beer.  I got three molds off the secondary operations (pins, handles, deburr, etc) stack and shipped, machined two more and put them on the second op stack, and machined half of a fairly complex one.  I spent a lot of time working in the unairconditioned back portion of the shop, and I want a beer.  I guess the BullBoss is going to have to wait until tomorrow. 

However, in true airgunner spirit I still have this to share.  The shipping scale says 9 lbs 5.2 ounces with no magazine, and after a day in the airconditioned office the pressure has dropped back a little bit.  It solidly in the red now instead of off the end of the scale. 

I suppose I should go look for a scope... 
CNC Molds N Stuff

Bob La Londe

I found a cheap Bushnell fixed power scope that isn't on anything and the dual use rail takes the dovetail mounts on the scope.  I wouldn't have even though to look except the Hatsan springer I have has a dual rail on it as well.  Not really sure why that scope was just laying on a shelf, but if it hasn't been destroyed by a springer it will do to group the BullBoss. 

Now to find a fresh battery for my ProChrono.  NOT TODAY.  I'm headed into the house for a beer. 
CNC Molds N Stuff

bnowlin

Quote from: Bob La Londe on June 29, 2024, 07:27:00 PMI found a cheap Bushnell fixed power scope that isn't on anything and the dual use rail takes the dovetail mounts on the scope.  I wouldn't have even though to look except the Hatsan springer I have has a dual rail on it as well.  Not really sure why that scope was just laying on a shelf, but if it hasn't been destroyed by a springer it will do to group the BullBoss. 

Now to find a fresh battery for my ProChrono.  NOT TODAY.  I'm headed into the house for a beer. 

LOL Priorities

Bob La Londe

No numbers, but I did finally shoot it. 

I don't know if the Bushnell scope is any good yet, but it's not totally broken.  After a few shots spinning the windage and elevation like a wheel of fortune I got it on the semi permanent ten yard spinner.  I proceeded to hit the ten yard spinner every shot after that.  Since there were branches and blown in sand around it I just got a good solid thwap, but no spin.  That's okay.  I got some shots in.  I forgot how much I enjoy shooting out my back door. 

Even with the low profile scope rings I've got a center to center height of about 2.625 inches.  I don't think ten yards will be a good near zero.  maybe twice that. 

I think one day I'm going to throw up some dirt hills with the tractor and set some metal targets at 25, 50 and 60 yards.  Straight to the fence fromt he back door of the shop is 63 yards if I recall correctly. 

After 18 shots (2 magazines) and 2 dry fires (I'm not used to counting to nine I guess) the gage is just into the green.  I've got decent high and low side gages on my bigger bottle I'll have to check the gage compared to a known decent gage and see where I want to fill the gun. 

I had noticed int he PA specifications they rated the gun as moderately loud.  It kind of is, but most of that noise is from the hammer and spring.  Its loud like a magnum springer.  Not loud like an unmoderated PCP.  Overall it is louder than either of my Marauders, but not from the air pop at the muzzle.  Its louder from the action working.  The sound of a 25.39 grain Exact King smacking a steel target is much louder. 

I was planning on breaking out the ProChrono and doing some real testing this afternoon, but a buddy called me and wants to catch the evening bite on the river.  I could shoot a little more, but I want to get my fishing gear ready to go.  Last time I was out I did pretty well throwing Curly Buzz Frogs, and I plan to give that little invention of mine a good work again this evening. 

It will be fun to shoot, and I might hunt with it, but its definitely no Cricket.  Not even a noisy one. 
CNC Molds N Stuff