News:

Enjoy your summer, and stay safe!

Main Menu

ATN X-Sight 2 iOS App

Started by steveoh, June 06, 2024, 10:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveoh

I have been using my ATN X-Sight 2 a bunch lately to whack rats. This used to be Alan's ATN, thank you kindly

I recorded a video of a rat whack tonight and thought I'd fire up the Obsidian 4 App. It's been so long since using it, I'd forgotten that it is not compatible with this particular scope. I wasted quite a bit of time before realizing I had the old App, which does work with this scope. Finally, I was able to download the video.

Why on earth did the ATN developers not check for the device and throw up an error that says the version 4 of the app is for newer scopes? Why don't they say this on the App Description page at the Apple Store? This is basic information.

Oh well.
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule
DAQ .458 LA Outlaw Rifle
DAQ .58 LA Outlaw Rifle
FX Streamline .25
FX M3 Impact 700mm Sniper .25
Benjamin Bulldog .357
QB-79 .177
Crosman 1322
Crosman 1377 - HoRodded 10 FPE
Diana Model 27 (childhood airgun)
Tolman Skiff
Airgun Calculator

Alan

Diverse software issues will always be with us, or so it seems. I'm having a similar issue with compatibility between Samsung's app and AppleTV's app. Appropriate responses to each participant, got the same answer...

'It their issue!' Really?

One would think that two of the world's best-selling 'boxes' would have a better relationship? reminds me of spousal abuse!
Alan

I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. If you're a fellow Guild member, and you pass through Roswell, NM, I'll fill your tank as a courtesy (4,250 PSI limit).

steveoh

Basic error handling is expected of modern software.

Telling folks what the hardware compatibility is with the software is essential when the App Store has multiple versions of the same software. It ain't that hard.

Of course ATN is slow to fix bugs in their firmware. I give ATN a one finger salute, even though they offer budget friendly IR scopes.
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule
DAQ .458 LA Outlaw Rifle
DAQ .58 LA Outlaw Rifle
FX Streamline .25
FX M3 Impact 700mm Sniper .25
Benjamin Bulldog .357
QB-79 .177
Crosman 1322
Crosman 1377 - HoRodded 10 FPE
Diana Model 27 (childhood airgun)
Tolman Skiff
Airgun Calculator

olddog

ATN does not value customer loyalty.

If they did they would LONG ago cleaned up their act WRT software development.  I suspect they are just another company which maintains an office in the USA and contracts their development to the lowest cost foreign developer.

I've owned a couple of their X-Sights.  I have the version 4 at present.  The firmware for it isn't really much of an improvement over that for the version 2.

I don't think ANYONE at that company has ever read a book about best practices.

Just me, but honestly, they should be ashamed.

Alan

Yes they should. At this point in time, you can buy either an add-on adapter (uses existing scope) or a full-blown IR night vision rifle scope replete with an even larger 'torch' (IR source to us Americans), for less money. You even get a true 4K in and out. You can even save more by not buying one with a built-in camera. If I read the PARD literature correctly, you can use your Bluetooth smartphone to do the recording instead.

My opinion is (for what it is worth) we're going to see night vision scopes get a whole lot cheaper in the near future. Even better, some thermals (even day & night models) are under $1K if you shop around. What "I" want, is an Eliminator-type, replete with range-finding, and Bluetooth built in. I just might stick around just to see it!
Alan

I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. If you're a fellow Guild member, and you pass through Roswell, NM, I'll fill your tank as a courtesy (4,250 PSI limit).

T3PRanchAGS

My X-Sight also ruins my night vision in one eye.  :-[

Alan

That is indeed another issue. The video screen you're actually using to 'see',is not fully adjustable, and it should be! I should add, neither are the competition's! At least, brightness, contrast, and color mix should be menu items. I guess too many engineers, and not enough marketing folks!
Alan