News:

It may be Winter, but Spring is coming. So start planning for your first airgun outing.

Main Menu

Hello from Wyoming

Started by WyomingWhitetail, January 22, 2023, 08:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank in Fairfield

Quote from: WyomingWhitetail on January 24, 2023, 02:30:12 PMNot a whole lot of coal trains going through anymore. The mines aren't nearly as active as they were 5 or 10 years ago. One is pretty much just doing reclamation at this point.

Excellent.

Alan

Small world indeed. My father came very close to taking a job in Wyoming with Bechtel Corp. in the late 50s. If that had been the case, I would have spent 4 years in Laramie! The campus was a-ok, but the prairie dog hunt was much better! 

The places I won't go these days, is back to North or South Dakota. Being charged for both a reservation hunting fee and requisite guide fee (nearly doubling the costs) is a bit too much tariff, in my opinion.

Which brings up another issue or two.

There are places to prairie dog hunt in New Mexico. All you need is the land owners permission. However, all of the good areas (about 6 state wide) are so-called hunting preserves. The land owners in these cases, charge high fees for the privilege(?). While I understand the charges for honest hunting preserves, charging hunters for destructive, non-game species is inane.

And lastly, what is considered non-game species is a questionable issue. Here in New Mexico, there is a specific season on tree squirrels. Every single land owner I know, tell their perspective hunters to shoot everyone they see. The same goes for raccoons, albeit there are special previsions in the law which cover them. We can't hunt nutria, although the southern part of the state are over run with them.

Alas!
Alan

I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. If you're a fellow Guild member, and you pass through Roswell, NM, I'll fill your tank as a courtesy (4,250 PSI limit).

WyomingWhitetail

Quote from: Frank in Fairfield on January 24, 2023, 02:44:18 PM
Quote from: WyomingWhitetail on January 24, 2023, 02:30:12 PMNot a whole lot of coal trains going through anymore. The mines aren't nearly as active as they were 5 or 10 years ago. One is pretty much just doing reclamation at this point.

Excellent.

Not if you live around here.

WyomingWhitetail

I spent 5 years in Laramie at UW. Not bad down there, was too busy with engineering school to explore as much as I should of.