News:

It may be Winter, but Spring is coming. So start planning for your first airgun outing.

Main Menu

8mm smoothbore shotgun

Started by Septicdeath, January 09, 2023, 03:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Septicdeath

Today I made a new sabot design for my Hatsan 130QE  8mm smoothbore shotgun. This is the fourth generation of sabots I've made. They work the best so far.

The capsule it cut on top with a X. a 1mm hole made in the bottom. a small piece of vegetable fiber wad is pressed into the bottom. 47 to 50 grains of any shot is placed in the cartridge. The top of the capsule is put on and secured tight slightly compressed to fit barrel snug.

You will see in the video a example of a capsule that was not compressed enough. it fell through  the barrel * results a dry fire. I'm bad for my own stupid mistakes.

The gun has been modified to a 8mm smoothbore shotgun. The ram is at 160bar. I have tried to choreograph it but the readings with shot is not consistent. Right around 590fps as far as I can tell.

Hope you enjoy my video of a gun that always brings a smile to my face.

VIDEO LINK

https://youtu.be/8ptU_tgu30E

Steelhead

Heck yeah. That's pretty cool and fun.
Airforce Texan .308
FX Impact MKII .25
Benjamin Discovery .22
Benjamin Prowler .177
Texan .50
Sam Yang 909s Light Hunter
Born Wild Shooting Chair
Air Venturi compressor

Alan

For those trying this, do not do so with a suppressor in place!

If you look around, you can also find capsules with fit .25 caliber barrels. Finding them for .22 calibers is a bit more difficult. I know of none (could not find any on-line) for .177.

The few times I've tried to duplicate the fete, I didn't get good results. But the results I did get, knocked a squirrel to the ground!

I wonder why other guys haven't tried this?
Alan

I have a Hill EC-3000 compressor. If you're a fellow Guild member, and you pass through Roswell, NM, I'll fill your tank as a courtesy (4,250 PSI limit).

rsterne

The key is a smoothbore.... A rifled barrel spins the shot out into a donut pattern.... only good for a few feet....

Bob
🇺🇦    I support Ukraine and their struggle to remain free!    🇺🇦

steveoh

Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule
DAQ .458 LA Outlaw Rifle
DAQ .58 LA Outlaw Rifle
FX Streamline .25
FX M3 Impact 700mm Sniper .25
Benjamin Bulldog .357
QB-79 .177