News:

With the coming of Summer, hunting possibilities change, typically for the better. Prairie dogs, ground squirrels, and gophers are all fair game. And so are pigeons, Eurasian doves, and house sparrows. Oh goody!

Main Menu

Sumatra .25 Carbine Slugs

Started by steveoh, February 13, 2020, 12:36:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveoh

Fiddling around for my mental health.

I took some .257 62 and 58 grain slugs that Loren sent me and resized to .253, .251, and .250. The Sumatra prefers the .250 sized slugs and likes the 58 grain green powder coated Hollowpoints the best. Wish I had some in the 40 grain size as I think I'd get a happier velocity. I maxed out the power wheel for these little beasties.

Shot count: 6
Low: 707
Hi: 740
Avg: 723
Spread: 33
STD Dev: 11.9
707
714
740
731
726
721

Average 67.34 foot pounds energy
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule
DAQ .458 LA Outlaw Rifle
DAQ .58 LA Outlaw Rifle
FX Streamline .25
FX M3 Impact 700mm Sniper .25
Benjamin Bulldog .357
QB-79 .177
Crosman 1322
Crosman 1377 - HoRodded 10 FPE
Diana Model 27 (childhood airgun)
Tolman Skiff
Airgun Calculator

Loren

#1
This 25 cal shoots really well out of my Condor which is at about the same power as the Sumatra.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop/251/tl255-50-rf-cb2/tl255-50-rf-cb2-5-cavity-pb

I need a lighter weight .257 bullet for the Raptor.  Something around 45 grains

steveoh

Quote from: Loren on February 14, 2020, 11:44:23 AM
This 25 cal shoots really well out of my Condor which is at about the same power as the Sumatra.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop/251/tl255-50-rf-cb2/tl255-50-rf-cb2-5-cavity-pb

I need a lighter weight .257 bullet for the Raptor.  Something around 45 grains

Yep, having choices is a good thing.

I can't shake the idea of having a .257 pistol / Carbine, which would need lighter slugs.

Did you get a full Raptor or a Mini?

Hmmmm, a Condor shorty .257. Oh my.
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule
DAQ .458 LA Outlaw Rifle
DAQ .58 LA Outlaw Rifle
FX Streamline .25
FX M3 Impact 700mm Sniper .25
Benjamin Bulldog .357
QB-79 .177
Crosman 1322
Crosman 1377 - HoRodded 10 FPE
Diana Model 27 (childhood airgun)
Tolman Skiff
Airgun Calculator

Loren

I got an HP version which has a 26" barrel vs a 22" and 16.5"

steveoh

Quote from: Loren on February 15, 2020, 08:54:40 AM
I got an HP version which has a 26" barrel vs a 22" and 16.5"

Wow, so with the high power version you are not getting the power they advertised. Hmmm. Guys who ordered .308 and larger will be disappointed.
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule
DAQ .458 LA Outlaw Rifle
DAQ .58 LA Outlaw Rifle
FX Streamline .25
FX M3 Impact 700mm Sniper .25
Benjamin Bulldog .357
QB-79 .177
Crosman 1322
Crosman 1377 - HoRodded 10 FPE
Diana Model 27 (childhood airgun)
Tolman Skiff
Airgun Calculator

Loren

It is really only a 125fpe rifle and much more comfortable at 115-120fpe.

The owners have been posting some great numbers in the .22 & .25 cal versions, but less than expected in the 257 & 30 cals.

They have not done a .308 or larger.

Desert Goat Herder

#6
I shoot slugs out of my Sumatra .25 cal and I find sizing to.252 works best as it slugs out at .2515. I had arsonel molds machine one of their .257 molds to drop at.252 and they work real well. The best ones I've found thou is the ones cast from a MP mold. The varmint knockers are cast from that mold.

steveoh

Quote from: Desert Goat Herder on July 06, 2021, 04:32:51 PM
I shoot slugs out of my Sumatra .25 cal and I find sizing to.252 works best as it slugs out at .2515. I had arsonel molds machine one of their .257 molds to drop at.252 and they work real well. The best ones I've found thou is the ones cast from a MP mold. The varmint knockers are cast from that mold.

Good info!

Are you shooting these slugs using the magazine? My Sumatra hates shooting slugs in the magazine as it tends to jam up.
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule
DAQ .458 LA Outlaw Rifle
DAQ .58 LA Outlaw Rifle
FX Streamline .25
FX M3 Impact 700mm Sniper .25
Benjamin Bulldog .357
QB-79 .177
Crosman 1322
Crosman 1377 - HoRodded 10 FPE
Diana Model 27 (childhood airgun)
Tolman Skiff
Airgun Calculator

Desert Goat Herder

2 of my mags have been modded for slugs. A groove was machined into the outside of the mag and a Oring put into the groove which holds the slug.

steveoh

Quote from: Desert Goat Herder on July 07, 2021, 07:41:06 AM
2 of my mags have been modded for slugs. A groove was machined into the outside of the mag and a Oring put into the groove which holds the slug.

A few years back I thought I'd do this to my Sumatra Mags, but got busy and forgot about it. At the time Will Piatt said he'd do this mod for $20 each.
Quackenbush .58 Outlaw
Shooting Chairs
Vallejo Ferry Schedule
DAQ .458 LA Outlaw Rifle
DAQ .58 LA Outlaw Rifle
FX Streamline .25
FX M3 Impact 700mm Sniper .25
Benjamin Bulldog .357
QB-79 .177
Crosman 1322
Crosman 1377 - HoRodded 10 FPE
Diana Model 27 (childhood airgun)
Tolman Skiff
Airgun Calculator

Desert Goat Herder